cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 470ex-ai and Godox V1 wireless flash receiver and transmitter not functioning?

tmitch1
Apprentice

Hi there,

I am wanting to set up my canon 470ex as a receiver to my Godox V1 flash.

I have the Godox V1 on my canon R6 and have place my 470ex-ai off camera as my receiver. I have set my Godox V1 as the transmitter with the flash on with channels matching 1 and A. My 470 is set to receiver, ETTL, A, channel 1.

The Godox fires but the canon 470 isn’t. Please help! 

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The Godox uses RF wireless to trigger other flashes. But the 470EX-AI uses Canon's older smart optical wireless system. The older optical system doesn't use RF to work. The sender/ master speedlite sends out a modulated pre-flash from the main flash tube. The off camera receiver/ slave speedlite "sees" it and fires. This system requires line of sight to work. RF wireless doesn't require this at all. So you'll need to use an off camera speedlite with RF wireless capability. Or the sender speedlite will need to support the older optical system.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi Dee,

Thanks for your response, appreciate it! Didn’t know that about the systems. I did set them up in line of sight so they could see each other. Although it still didn’t go off and didn’t trigger the 470 speedlite. 

Thanks!

The Godox can only use RF wireless signals to control off camera speedlites. It can't fire off the 470EX-AI wirelessly. The 470EX-AI only can use the older optical line of sight system. These 2 systems are INCOMPATIBLE. You can't use both at the same time. It's one system or the other system. You will need to either replace your 470EX-AI with a speedlite that supports RF wireless. Or you will need to replace the Godox with a speedlite that uses the optical line of sight system. Some speedlites support both systems. But again only 1 can be used at a time not both.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Okay thanks Demetrius for your response! 

All of Canon's EX speedlites that support RF wireless will say "RT" in the name. Such as the 430EX III-RT, 600EX-RT & 600EX II-RT. Canon's newer EL lineup of speedlites don't say "RT" in the name. But the EL-1 & EL-5 speedlites support RF wireless. The EL-5 uses a different hot shoe design. It can only be mounted on certain EOS R series cameras. Such as the R3, R7, R10, R8, R6 Mark II & R50. But it can still be used as an off camera speedlite.

-Demetrius

Kerro
Apprentice

I have a Canon R5 and a 580EX II speedlite which are incompatible. I have a Godox XproC V1 trigger and of course the 580 still wont fire. I now have a X1R C receiver that sits under my 580 speedlite and Voila I now have a working system.  I also have 2 Youngo YN460-11 digital flashes and they work fine with the X1R-C and 580 EX combo. I have 2 Godox 400 II 400 watt lights and all work, (5 lights) with XproC trigger and the X1Rc.

The 580EX II is compatible with the R5.

-Demetrius

Apologies if my info is incorrect but I got it from Photography Stack Exchange, which states "The Godox XProC will work fine, but you will need a Godox X1R-C receiver to attach to the 580EXII hotshoe." also from the same answer "The 580EXII, however, does not have radio triggering built-in, and would require an X1R-C receiver to be attached to its foot to be triggered and controlled by the Godox transmitters. And unlike the built-in radio triggers in Godox's own lights, the X1R-C does not support cross-brand TTL, so the 580EXII can only be a TTL/HSS radio slave to a Godox "-C" Canon version trigger on a Canon camera hotshoe." I have both and that is how I get my 580 to work.

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello tmitch1,

I would suggest verifying that the Godox V1 is set to optical transmission as the Speedlite 470EX-AI is only able to receive an optical signal. 

Announcements