cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20D with 430EX?

atkinson40
Contributor

I'm trying to get my 430EX speedily to work with my 20D.  I need to take some model photos for a friend.

In 430EX TTL mode, the speedlite flashes, but pictures are underexposed.

In 430EX manual mode it does not flash.

From what I read, the best to use the 430EX in manual mode.  The shutter speed can be 1/125 and adjusted to affect the ambient light only.  I have a diffuser for the 430EX I would like to use.

What mode should I set the 20D to?  I understand the 430EX set to 1-1 will give full output from it.

Should I use manual mode on the 20D, set the shutter to 1/125 and adjust aperture to give correct exposure?

Why is the 430EX not firing when it is set to manual mode?  Google says to make sure the flash function is turned on in the camera, but I don't see this in the menu.

Thanks Kevin

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks amfoto1,

I set flash to E-TTL.  The camera in any mode with ISO 400, gives me shutter of around 1/80 and A of around 2.2.  I'm using a 35MM canon lens, and will be between 6-8 ft away for the subject.  Will this give me a DOf large enough to keep a person laying down completely in focus?  This DOF calculator tells me no, but I'm not sure.

https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Thank

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

It is impossible to select TTL on the 430EX or 430EX II when used on a DSLR like the EOS. 20D. You can only select ETTL or Manual. 

TTL or E-TTL is selected automatically depending on whether or not the camera is a film camera or digital camera. Some flash units will have a Custom Function for TTL, but the 430EX does not have this capability. The 580EX II has a TTL custom function but this option is designed to only work with newer film cameras like the EOS 1V or 7NE that have both TTL and ETTL .

Mike Sowsun

Canon's last Film Rebel (Rebel T2/ EOS Kiss 7/ EOS 300X) camera released in 2004 ONLY supported the newly revised E-TTL II Auto flash system. The manuals for the original 430EX, 430EX II,  original 580EX & 580EX II state TTL is NOT supported on that camera. Also some newer speedlites will automatically revert to TTL when attached to a "Type B" camera. A camera that only supports A-TTL or TTL auto flash. When I attach my 600EX II-RT to my dad's old EOS 650 (35mm Film camera). It automatically switches from E-TTL to TTL. Without changing any settings at all.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

atkinson40
Contributor

Thanks everyone, for your help.  I can work this out when I'm not under pressure.

I wimped out and went to HD and bought 2 LED shop lights and bounced them into umbrellas.(1200 Lumens)  This is giving me 1/80 at f5.6.  I'll use shutter priority and let the camera set the aperture.

I'll need to set the white balance, but I know how to do that.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements