cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EL-1 Speedlite full power output through to 1/8192

DLMedia
Contributor

When I first used my EL-1 Speedlite I could set the flash to 1/8192 and the slightest lick of light appeared. Now I set the flash to 1/8192 and it is full power on all settings. Am I missing something in the settings? Using it on and R5 but the problem exists on-camera and off-camera, even fired manually. ANY advice is welcomed.

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Reset the speedlite back to factory default along with the Personal & Custom Functions back to factory default.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks Demetrius, I reset and still exhibits the same issue. The EL-! isn't cheap and I'm surprised at the problem. Hopefully I can sort it before the last resort of sending it to Canon Aust.

Cheers Dave

If you have another EOS digital camera try it on that camera instead to see if the problem persists. Do you have another speedlite to test on the R5. Note Personal Function 1 even when set to 0 (the default setting) option 1 (Intermittent Flash Firing is Applied ON EOS R series cameras). The "IR" AF Assist Beam IS NOT compatible on ANY mirrorless camera system.

Canon EL-1 AF Assist Beam Emission Method.pngEOS R Series Intermittent Flash AF Assist Beam.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thanks again for the info. Sadly, nothing I try or reset or change seems to make any difference. It is full power at every setting. Even ETTL over exposes the test images I have set up. 

Perhaps it's Canon's problem from here.

thanks again

Its best to send it in to Canon for repair. Just to make sure you don't have FEC dialed in on the speedlite or the camera. When the speedlite is set to E-TTL mode. It sounds like the pre-flash isn't happening. Which is leading to overexposed pictures. What lens are you using too is the problem also happening without flash too. Can you also provide the test images too. The camera controls flash output in E-TTL. So if the camera isn't communicating properly with the speedlite the pictures would be over or underexposed too. Does the speedlite fit snugly in the hot shoe. There have been reported issues of broken or loose hot shoes on the R5 in the forum.

-Demetrius

Thanks, yes, it has been returned to Canon. I tried it on the 5D IV, my R3 and the R5. Triggered manually and through every function of the cameras and flash. Same result. So, Canon should have a delivery on their doorstep. I'll let you know the diagnosis and result as soon as it returns. It was 3 days out of warranty so I do hope they honor the replacement or repairs required.

Dave

My gear: R3/R5/5D IV. RF 100-500mm   RF 24-70mm F2.8 RF 15-35mm F2.8 RF                   70-200mm F2.8 RF100mm Macro RF 50mm F1.2 --Similar in EF lenses

DLMedia
Contributor

As expected, 3 days out of warranty and Canon are charging $370.00 (AU) for:

"Upon inspection, confirmed the reported fault is caused by a component breakdown on the C PCB."

I hope it lasts longer than 12 months this time.

Dave

My gear: R3/R5/5D IV. RF 100-500mm   RF 24-70mm F2.8 RF 15-35mm F2.8 RF  70-200mm F2.8

RF100mm Macro RF 50mm F1.2 --Similar in EF lenses

Announcements