cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiveView control in EOS Utility

kimbrun
Contributor

Is there anyway to control the way LiveView renders the image in terms of exposure.  If we are shooting a dark garmet on a white background LiveView changes by darkens the whole image.  This makes it difficult to see what is going on in the dark clothing.  Is there a way to control the lightness or darkness in LiveView?

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

I'm assuming you're shooting with flash?

You can change the exposure (raise the ISO or lengthen shutter time) and the live view brightens to estimate what the exposure would be.  Of course you have to change it back before you fire the shot.  I always wondered if there was a better way myself, as I shoot with flash a lot and don't use live view because of this reason.

We are using Liveview for the stylist to view the garmet as she works.  I am looking for a way to change the Liveview window so she can see dark clothing on a white background.  EOS Utility automatically alters the window with no way for the photographer to change it as needed.  This not an exposure problem as the Liveview is only a compositional reference.

As I recall, if you turn on exposure stimulation on with LV, it will display the metered exposure. Try to switch the camera to manual mode, and adjust it until you get correct exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Having exposure simulation off, stills display only, and or both disabled doesn't stop the Remote LiveView window from changing its rendition when you move the focus cursor from dark to light values.

@kimbrun wrote:

We are using Liveview for the stylist to view the garmet as she works.  I am looking for a way to change the Liveview window so she can see dark clothing on a white background.  EOS Utility automatically alters the window with no way for the photographer to change it as needed.  This not an exposure problem as the Liveview is only a compositional reference.

I understand that it’s not an exposure problem, but I’m discussing a work-around that lightens up the display in Liveview.

The Liveview window mimics the exposure value.  So by increasing your exposure it will lighten the screen.  When shooting with purely flash you limit your exposure to block out ambient light, so the Liveview window is dark.  Hence, to use Liveview with flash I have to crank up the ISO to set composition, then move it back down to take the shot.

If you’re using natural light then the Liveview window should be around the same lightness as your photo, so you shouldn’t have a problem.  So I assumed you’re using flash, in which case the suggestion that I made is a viable work-around.

I am using Remote LiveView through EOS Utility.  It does not behave the same as the LiveView you see on the LCD of your camera.  So unfortunately, none of these ideas work.

I'm referring to the same.  That's how my Remote Liveview works anyway.

No we did not.  Still have no control of the Remote Live View and the way it changes brightness from one subject to another.

Kind of hoped Canon might harp in.  Guess not.  I know this is a user forum but like many others the parent company usually monitors what is being discussed.

Announcements