cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not showing up as an option.

kitcl3ver
Apprentice

Hello!

I have installed the EOS Utility 3.13.10 for Windows or the Canon 80D. When I open the utility, my camera is connected fine and I can use the live view. Unfortunately, the EOS utility doesn't show up as an option anywhere else. It doesn't show up as a selectable capture device on OBS, nor does it show up as a camera I can select in Discord. I have tried it, both, with the utility opened and with it closed (quit from my utility tray and even once closed through task manager just to be sure).

I have gone under the privacy settings in my control panel and made sure apps have permission to access my cameras as well, though it does not seem to specify which camera in particular so I suppose that is just a blanket permission for all cameras. My logitech webcam does work fine on all of my programs. I have also tried using the Canon utility with the logitech unplugged, just in case it only allows one camera at a time. Finally, I have tried multiple USB ports, including the one my standard webcam sits in.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be just amazing at this point.

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What makes you believe the camera should show up as a device in OBS with the regular EOS Utility for downloading files?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/ 

Maybe the EOS Webcam can do what you want.  Be sure to read the instructions carefully.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, Wadazzle. Thanks for the input. I have read that, multiple times. "We are proud to announce the release of the official version of our EOS Webcam Utility software for Windows, which lets you turn your compatible Canon EOS camera into a high-quality webcam using only a USB cable." Followed by "Compatible with the following applications", whereafter said programs are listed. Then I top that off with youtube videos showing people do just that. So far, every video I have seen and article I have read shows EOS UTILITY as showing up as an option for a capture device on these programs after you have installed it and restarted your computer. It does not for me and I am stuck as to why.

@kitcl3ver wrote:

Hi, Wadazzle. Thanks for the input. I have read that, multiple times. "We are proud to announce the release of the official version of our EOS Webcam Utility software for Windows, which lets you turn your compatible Canon EOS camera into a high-quality webcam using only a USB cable." Followed by "Compatible with the following applications", whereafter said programs are listed. Then I top that off with youtube videos showing people do just that. So far, every video I have seen and article I have read shows EOS UTILITY as showing up as an option for a capture device on these programs after you have installed it and restarted your computer. It does not for me and I am stuck as to why.

"I have installed the EOS Utility 3.13.10 for Windows or the Canon 80D."

Read my first response again.  I thought you had said that you had installed the incorrect EOS Utility.  You might actually need to have both apps installed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Thanks for following up with us.

As you may have discovered, we do have two programs with similar names, EOS Utility and EOS Webcam Utility. EOS Utility is for downloading images and using the computer to control the camera.

EOS Webcam Utility is the program for live-streaming. Once EOS Webcam Utility is installed, it will run in the background and you should be able to connect the camera by USB and then a live-streaming platform like OBS should recognize it.

That said, EOS Webcam Utility won't work if EOS Utility is running, even if it is running in the background in the system tray. Check the icons on the bottom right of your screen and right click on any EOS Utility icons and close them.

Announcements