cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low video quality through EOS utility (NOT webcam)

Havreflan
Apprentice

When I record a video through EOS utility it, for some reason, records in noticably lower quality than when I just press the record button on the camera, despite the settings kept unchanged. The end result is a video with the same resolution, bitrate and framerate, but it looks like it's been upscaled from a lower resolution, and almost has an interlaced look to it.

The video is recorded directly to the SD-card, so USB transferrate shouldn't be a problem. I use a 600D, and EOS Utility version 2.14.20.0 (the latest version for 600D as far as I can tell)

Is there a way to resolve this?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Havreflan wrote:

When I record a video through EOS utility it, for some reason, records in noticably lower quality than when I just press the record button on the camera, despite the settings kept unchanged. The end result is a video with the same resolution, bitrate and framerate, but it looks like it's been upscaled from a lower resolution, and almost has an interlaced look to it.

The video is recorded directly to the SD-card, so USB transferrate shouldn't be a problem. I use a 600D, and EOS Utility version 2.14.20.0 (the latest version for 600D as far as I can tell)

Is there a way to resolve this?

If the camera does not perform as you need, then it is time to upgrade.

The camera must be a decade old by now.  It is most likely no longer a candidate for repairs by Canon, which would also most likely mean it is no longer a candidate for firmware upgrades and fixes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's supported by the EOS webcam utility software, so I guess there is still some sort of ambition behind it.

@Havreflan wrote:
It's supported by the EOS webcam utility software, so I guess there is still some sort of ambition behind it.

The Webcam Utility does not record to the internal memory card.  It does not produce a full HD video signal, either.  Any hope that an upcoming firmware update will "fix" your issues with the camera is probably futile.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

All I'm saying is that there's obviously developer time being put into supporting compatibility with newer software.

I get what you're saying though. The last version of EOS Utility supported by the 600D is 5 years old. I'm not hoping for a software fix as much as I'm hoping to maybe find someone who's had the same problem and know of a workaround. Or if someone have the same camera but not the same problem. Maybe it's a bug on my end? I can hardly be the only one using EOS Utility to start a recording remotely, even with an older model.

Announcements