cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon not launching when plugged into MacBook

Larissal2011
Apprentice

This has never happened before, I've used the same computer and camera for my last two photo shoots with no issues. Today I plugged in my camera and nothing happened. I searched for hours to even find the camera, yes it was recognized but I couldn't do anything with it. It usually pulls up the options on what I want to do with the camera, nothing. Tried it in a windows computer and it worked fine. So it's not the cord or the camera. Also tested the USB ports on the MacBook and they worked as well. I'm at a loss here. Canon Rebel t3 and MacBook Air Catalina 10.15.7.

Also note I did reset the MacBook to no avail. 

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try running image capture directly.

Larissal2011
Apprentice
Can you further explain?

What software used to open when you connected your camera?

Did you format or replace your SD card just prior to your most recent shoot?

macOS seems to view the SD card in camera as the device, rather than the camera itself. I new or reformatted card in a previously connected camera is viewed as a new device.

As kvbarkley said, yiu want to manually start Image Capture.

Image Capture should see the camera.  At the bottom let hand side you will see a little triangle.

Image Capture 2020-11-02 12-30-35.jpg

Click the triangle and it will drop down. You can select the software you want to open next time the camera is connected.

Image Capture 2020-11-02 12-31-15.jpg

That solved the problem I was having. It may be the problem you are having.

Need to repeat each time a new or reformatted card is used.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah it doesnt show up as a device like that, as it should. It just doesnt do anything when it is plugged in. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements