cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time with my Favourite Bird!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
With all the restrictions, it was a welcome treat to be able to visit the Auckland Zoo, even though much of it is unavailable as work is accelerated to catch up to complete the upgradesfor the zoo's centenary next year, that have been held up by lock-downs.

Thus is was that I found my way to the Kea enclosure and spent some time with my favourite bird. They have so much personality and intelligence.  Keas are unique to NZ and are, in fact, the world's only mountian parrot: inhabiting the NZ Southern Alps and highlands.  They mate for life and they have a unique call from which their name is derived.  They are omnivores: enjoying berries, fruit, and small animals, although there is evidence that they once predated on the huge and now extinct Moas - birds of up to 3.6m (12ft) height and could weigh as much as 230kg (510lb) resembling a very heavy emu (but are not related).  Moas were predated on by the NZ Haast's Eagle - a huge bird with a wing span of over 3m, that became extinct, along with the Moa about 500-600 years ago - likely from hunting and loss of habitat from Maori activities. 

It is believed that the Kea would sit on the Moa's back and bite into its body, to reach the fat and liver.  When NZ farmers brought sheep into the high country the Kea did the same thing, resulting in a massive kulling of them that was finally stopped (and the bird protected) in the 1980's.  By then, hundreds of thousands had been killed, but in their protected areas they are fluorising  and they have adapted to humans by frequenting ski areas and hiking trails (especially huts) to get the rich pickings from our discarded foods or by looking cute and begging! 

They are incredibly smart and can demolist a car by peeling off the rubbers, undoing and pressing the tyre valves to deflate the tyres, undoing bolts etc.  They will come to huts and climb to the tops of the corrugated roofs: sliding down them and then climbing up to do it again for hours on end - chattering all the time and obviously enjoying themselves!

So here are a few of the images I shot

The classic Kea shot. I try (with some difficulty) to avoid any sense that they are in an enclosure
Canon EOS R6, RF 100-500@363mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-3200
R62_1027 A VLR copy.jpg

Capturing their spectacular under-wing plumage is a challenge in an enclosure, as it is normally hidden and is shown only when they make brief flights (too close and fast to easily capture) or, in this case as they take a bath!
Canon EOS 7DMkII, Sigma 60-600s @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-3200
7D1_7091A LR copy.jpg

It was a VERY hot day when this was taken and Keas are cold weather birds.  I was fortunate enough to be there when the birds got a treat: fruit ice blocks. These lured the Keas out from their dark, cool and shady haunts.
Canon EOS R5, Sigma 150-600c@343mm, f/11, 1/250sec, ISO-6400
R5011374 LR copy.jpg

Their devilish side comes to the fore when they decide to explore things best left alone - in this case, repeatedly trying to unpick or cut the keeper's shoe laces! He was steadfastly pursued around by this one, which seemed determined not to be denied!
Canon EOS R6, EF 100-400MkII@ 254mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-3200
R62_1065 A VLR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
2 REPLIES 2

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Trevor, three things I must mention. First is the outstanding description and history of the Kea. It's a majestic looking bird. Second is the great photos. My favorite is the one showing the underside of the wings. You caught it at the right moment. Third is the listing of the settings for your photos. Thanks for sharing!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Trevor, three things I must mention. First is the outstanding description and history of the Kea. It's a majestic looking bird. Second is the great photos. My favorite is the one showing the underside of the wings. You caught it at the right moment. Third is the listing of the settings for your photos. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! Smiley Happy  When I look at an image I find it helps to have several things to gain full appreciation and context:

1.  The background to the subject ( if necessary)

2.  The constraints or challenges

3.  The technical information.

I think it is useful for analysis to be able to see the settings and if I ever have to refer back to the image,  Obviously, I have a fair bit of gear, covering many years and a few brands, and still use it.  One of my favourite images was taken with the Canon EOS D30, vintage 2000 that I got, unused, for a song and still works perfectly and gives great images.  A good camera will always be a good camera, even if there is better tech out there - a lot depends on what one wants, or needs to do with the image.  Personally, I like to tell stories and I have written blogs with lots of images for the various hiking (we call it Tramping in NZ) trips I have taken over the years. 

While I make some effort to identify the gear, in the end, to me, the photographer is the key element.  I have taught various subject throughout most of my life and I still enjoy teaching: this time photography - especially to newbies.  I love to see the light of knowledge and control grow in their eyes! 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements