cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting with DSLRs - 5DsR + Canon EF 70-300 IS USM MkII

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have been shooting with a wide range of gear: both the new FF and APS-C MILCs, but I have not neglected my DSLRs, so I took a selection of both to my standy: the Muriwai Gannet colony on the west coast of NZ, just 35km from downtown Auckland.

The gear I took was a mixture:  Canon EOS 5DMkIV, 5DsR, and R5.  As far as lenses go, I took the EF 70-300 MkII IS USM, 70-300L and the RF 100-500.  All shots were hand-held.

So when I first got to the site I thought I would try out the EF 70-300 MkII with the 5DsR - so this post concentrates on this combination.  Some time ago I wrote a review of the range of lenses of this focal length HERE, If you are interested...

This is a view through the colony to a column that was part of the peninsula, but with wave action it has eroded until it separated. It seems to be a prime location for the birds as it seems to be colonized early. 
Even massively reduced to upload to this site, it is clear that the camera and lens are capturing a huge amount of detail.

Canon EOS 5DsR, Canon EF 70-300 IS USM MkII, 70mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-100

_DSR0890 LR copy.jpg

This is a view out from the mainland towards an islet off the coast.  The guano streaks clearly indicate the degree of occupation.  One often sees seals basking on the rocks

Canon EOS 5DsR, Canon EF 70-300 IS USM MkII, 188mm, f/7.1, 1/500sec, ISO-100

_DSR0891 LR copy.jpg

Up close and personal with the gannets, the same combination worked with close subjects.

Canon EOS 5DsR, Canon EF 70-300 IS USM MkII, 176mm, f/13, 1/1000sec, ISO-100

_DSR0896 LR copy.jpg

Cropping this image to 100% shows how well the lens handles the rather unforgiving the 5DsR
_DSR0896 100 copy 2.jpg

Catching birds in flight was more challenging - the 5DsR was never really marketed as a wildlife camera, more studio and landscape, but I gave it a go and when it worked it really worked.

Canon EOS 5DsR, Canon EF 70-300 IS USM MkII, 100mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-100

_DSR0907 LR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements