cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunset cloud

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

The wife and I were walking our puppies before bedtime. I looked up and saw this cloud formation and colors. Photo is unedited. Your critique is welcome. I was asked by an editor if I could take criticism. I told him I had been married 47 years.

Settings- Av, 1/4 sec., f/5.6, 18mm, ISO 100 (selected manually)

IMG_8509.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Nice cloud formation, I think it is a good capture.

You might try increasing the contrast to see how that looks to you.

I have yet to capture a sunset that I feel does justice to the real thing although I do keep trying, note to self, "definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" 🙂

I shot these last week after a line of severe storms had rolled through and a second line was forming up as the sun went down.  Shooting west over a cornfield.  Canon 5DS and 70-200 f2.8 @ f7.1 and f8 for various shots, 1/125, ISO 160.

Not really happy with these compared to the feeling/atmosphere of the real thing.  I think I will stick with sports which seems to be where my talents lie.

Rodger

2H1A6092.JPG

2H1A6097.JPG

2H1A6104.JPG

2H1A6114.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Contrast setting taken. Thanks. I took a sunrise photo but need to polish my PSE skills to remover power lines. Power lines and houses are in the way.

FWIW, I'm more aware of what are termed Kodak Moments since getting into photography more than before. Should have gotten in years ago. Dad always said hindsight is 20/20.

A friend started writing and photography years ago. He told of having to send transparancies to the editors.

John

There are times when you have to do serious editing but I am more of a realist and I despise inserting and removing elements.  It is my personal view but others are completely on the other side of the fence.  With sports, once you start getting too creative with editing you lose the truth of the situation.  I have removed an unfortunate glare/reflection from stadium lighting hitting the lens at a bad angle in a few photos. A few girls soccer players wear shorts that are a bit on the short side and with certain moves they ride up too high and I do slightly extend the shorts on those because I am not submitting photos of HS kids in any questionable attire or pose. But extraneous players and officials stay.  They were part of the actual play, their presence affected the play, and removing them conveys a situation that didn't exist originally.

If I photographed weddings, I am sure I would have a completely different view.  But I would be more comfortable trying to erradicate murder hornets from Washington State while blindfolded than shooting a wedding 🙂

One of my soccer coaching comrades showed me photos the mother of one of his players was posting to the team website.  She was putting balls in the net showing her son scoring goals when he didn't.  Totally nuts.  He asked me what to do and I told him to lock down the site with parent submissions going into a holding cell not to be posted until he saw and approved.  People, and parents in particular, do some really crazy things.

I have many photos where moving the ball a couple of feet would have made a much more compelling image but that goes against my sports photography ethics.

The photo below is a good example from the game I shot Friday night.  #33 is the ball carrier and he has a great expression facing off against the defender in this frame but the ball is hidden.  I have some other frames from this play where the ball is clearly visible but they don't have the same compelling expression.  I could photoshop the ball over a few inches but that wasn't in the original play.  Real life isn't perfect so images of real life often won't be what we wish they were either. 

Photo shot with 1DX III and EF 400 f2.8 @ f2.8, 1/800, ISO 6400.

Rodger

AS0I9101.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Enhancing a photo is like taking a fish photo and making the fish look like Moby **bleep**. I agree that editing has its place but there are certain limits as to credibility.

John

Or should have said, "Look like Jaws?"

John

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

This was near sunset, but not near as colorful.

alone2(1).jpg

Steve Thomas

Title it, "Ominous." Interesting photo. We tend to focus on colors but overlook B&W opportunities. Thanks for sharing.

John

Popo_Lino
Contributor

my fav photoGettyImages-666773570-5ba51b8b4cedfd0025e6fb5e.jpg

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements