cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan 9000F and Windows 11

dpj8197
Apprentice

Is there any work around to use the Cannon 9000F Scanner with Windows 11?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

swinny4
Apprentice

I installed the Windows 8.1 driver and all works fine now. Back to normal.

9000F Mark11 Scanner Driver Ver. 1.02 (Windows)

sd68-win-9000f-16_0_5-ea24

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

kryten79
Apprentice

Has anyone tried installing the win10 (or older) 9000f driver and MP navigator under compatibility mode in win11?  Also, I wonder if the win11 9000f MkII driver would run the 9000f?  I'm building a Win11 PC and would like to keep my 9000f so I'll be experimenting.  I may even try scanning in a win10 virtual machine - lol

Just as an additional data point, with respect to the 8800F, I use an app called "Driver Booster" to find and install drivers for all my devices in Windows 11 to save me having to schlep around to all the various mfgr support sites to find them. 

I just resurrected my old 8800F for some 35mm slide scanning, and Driver Booster went out and found Canon driver v13.0.5.56 from 2009 and installed it.  Seems to work fine so far with no need for compatibility mode.  Pretty amazing for being 15 years ago - who'dve thunk it?

Did you have any success with drivers and software for the 9000f? I have purchased one but run  windows 11 on most pcs. I could install a win 10 vm or use an old pc - just wondering what your experiments discovered? Thanks.

kryten79
Apprentice

Interesting.  Windows 11 on its own found my 9000f and loaded a Canon driver version 16.0.5.36 dated 8/30/2012.  Using the built-in fax and scan app, the scanner appears as WIA CanoScan, The max resolution I can scan at is 600dpi, so even though it says in the general tab 9600x9600dpi I've lost a bunch of resolution.  It also calls the MP Navigator 3.1 program which, even in compatibility mode, crashes for me.  IIRC, the old TWAIN driver is how I got higher resolutions for photo scans.  The Windows store has an app called "Windows Scan" which also maxes out for me at 600dpi, so I need another solution for photo scanning.  My options seem to be a) keep the old PC around or b) keep experimenting or c) take a look at VueScan???

Agree that it gets frustrating trying to keep using hardware that's hopelessly behind current tech and can't be upgraded.  I tried that "Windows Scan" app and the best my 8800F could do was 300dpi, unacceptable for photography stuff, IMO. 

I decided to retire the 8800F and just ordered a Braun Reflecta x33 standalone scanner that does 5760X3840 scans, no PC or software required.  Not sure what that equates to in dpi but my guess is it'll do what I need.

Researching this stuff, I've read really good reports on VueScan.  I won't need it with the scanner I just ordered, but its developer seems to have gone out of his way to make it compatible with all the major brand scanners.

Or virtual machine?

kryten79
Apprentice

I did not try a virtual machine on Win 11 - in theory it should work.  My main purpose for the Canon scanner is family photos at high resolution so they can be edited if needed.  I was not able to get high-res scans in Win 11 with the older drivers.  My solution was to boot up a Windows 10 PC and run the scanner from that and then move the photos across the home network.  

@kryten79 wrote:

I did not try a virtual machine on Win 11 - in theory it should work.  My main purpose for the Canon scanner is family photos at high resolution so they can be edited if needed.  I was not able to get high-res scans in Win 11 with the older drivers.  My solution was to boot up a Windows 10 PC and run the scanner from that and then move the photos across the home network.  

If you need to do this a lot you might want to look into VueScan by Hamrick Software.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

LynnD9000
Apprentice

My solution: Bottom line up front: I used a free trial version of the VueScan driver by Hamrick (www.hamrick.com) to see if the Canoscan 9000f purchased in 2011 was worth keeping. It was and I bought the VueScan driver for $ 24.95.

Details: Like the original poster, I could not find a driver for Windows 11. Tried the Canon driver for Win 10 - no good.  I did not try all the previous version.  Windows Fax and Printer worked for up to 600 dpi.  I wanted to compare the 9000F with my HP printer/scanner which scans at 1200 DPI. Once I had the free trial version of VueScan, it was obvious that the HP's images were very high contrast and were not subtle enough for my art work.  The trial version of VueScan (which leaves a watermark on your image) was enough to convince me that I wanted to keep the 9000F.

Announcements