cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xf605 - Recording stopping / Buffering problem ?

SteveP
Contributor

Hello,  Hoping for some insight here or at least to catalogue this issue.

I have a brand new Xf605 purchased 10/18/23. It has 10 - 2 -1 Firmware.  I'm using lexar 2000x SDXC 300mps / V90 cards.

I set up the camera for Relay Record/ 1080 @29.97 and tested it with cards formatted in camera with no issue.  First gig I take it on, I roll a few broll shots and as the main shot of the news story is about to happen I see "Recording Stopped - Camera Buffering".   It happened about 4x that day.  Length of the shot didn't matter.  It happened sometimes in the beginning of a short recording, sometimes after rolling for a bit.  It seems to occur randomly. I got thru the shoot and tested more and did not have it happen again that day.  I even let the camera roll for over an hour on several test shots.  

Since this first day I've used the XF605 on 5 more gigs and it happened again several times.  Some of the gigs 4k, some 1080, all in Relay record.  There seems to be an issue with this camera.

Anyone see this problem yet ?

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite

In the User Manual, I don't specifically see "Recording Stopeed - Camera Buffering", but there is this note regarding "Buffer overflow. Recording was stopped." on page 218:

"Recording was stopped because the card's write speed was too slow.  Use a recommended card (p 31).  Save your recordings and initialize the card (p 32)."

Do you have different cards you can try?  If you swap what card is in slot A, does the issue still occur?

NOTE: It's possible that the wording on your cam is different if its UI is localized to something outside the US (e.g. en_UK, en_AU, etc.).   The link to the manual above is for the US version.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

SteveP
Contributor

Ricky, Thanks for your input. You are correct that the wording is actually  "Buffer overflow. Recording was stopped."  Each time it happened was in the heat of the moment so I couldn't stop and write it down. 

It has happened with several different cards I have which are all 4 matched "V90 300mbps Lexar 2000X" 128gb.  

These cards should work perfectly. 

SteveP

Yea, agreed that this is looking like a hardware issue with the cam.  Do you by chance have a card reader on your computer capable of working with those cards?  If so, there are some utilities such as Blackmagic Disk Speed Test you could use to try to measure the performance of the cards*

* though how you're connecting the card reader may influence the results (e.g. connected to a slower USB port).

Barring a fluke that all cards are not performing correctly, prob best to call up Canon and look into having it checked out.

--
Ricky

SteveP
Contributor

Ricky, You are spot-on and in fact I called Canon provideo support before making this post to the community.  The nice support rep basically said " There is no known issue like this reported & I would need to send the camera in and would not have it back for up to 10 days".   Fine but I have 3 gigs that are booked within the next week so sending it away is not an option. I'm hoping to see if someone else has had this issue during normal recording with appropriate speed cards. 

SteveP

It would cost some money, but could you rent another XF605 unit? Could use for your upcoming work and to at least have a second unit to try out your cards.

--
Ricky

Announcements