Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C sensor smearing

PeteAG
Contributor

Hi there,

I have a problem with sensor of my R5C.

Format doesn't matter. It's visible through the EVF and the LCD either.

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-04 um 14.04.06.png

On the right (the door) you can clearly see, that there are some serious issues in the shadows caused by the highlights in the window. I did ABB 3 times but the problem is not gone. Looks like an sensor overdrive. But is it just me (defect unit) or is it a known issue of the R5C?

UPDATE: This issue is much less noticeable when shooting stills (even after heave lifting).

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-04 um 14.20.37.png

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Pete,

What lens are you shooting with?  What "format doesn't matter" are you referring?  What is the EXIF data for these shots?  Shutter, Aperture, and ISO? 

These shots look like terrible lighting situations, muted interior with a blown out backlit window.  The R5 C's sensor does try to grab as much light as possible, but no camera does well with a blob of light coming from behind.  I see a slow shutter, and low aperture with shallow DOF.  It also looks like you might have been a little shaky.  Not sure what you are hoping for?   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi. This was shot at ISO800, 180 degree shutter, Tamron SP 35 1.4 at 2.8, RAW LT at 8K DCI, 25fps.

i wouldn’t say it’s a terrible lighting situation, just basic stuff. The window wasn’t blown out, just bright below 100%. I have a Pocket 6K and no CMOS smearing is visible. I read this is a common issue with Canon sensors. Even the R5 got this and the original R. But the fixed it in firmware 1.2. So Canon, is this fixable?

Announcements