cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Thoughts on Remote Control, Wi-Fi Connectivity

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I have my R5C (arrived in 6 days??) and it seems fantastic. The dual operating system feature is great -- put it into video mode, and it's a C70 plus.  But there's one thing Canon seem to have screwed up hugely -- remote control for video.

To recap: the C70 has one very stupid design flaw, no built-in WiFi. To get remote control using Browser Remote, you have to get an external WiFi dongle, and you need to get one which is EXACTLY compatible with the drivers in the firmware. Which is a pain, and cost me £44.

The R5 has built-in WiFi, and you can remote control it using the Camera Connect app, both in photo and video modes. Great.

The R5C has built-in WiFi, and you might suppose that it would also be great -- but no, sadly Canon have really crippled it for video. In photo mode, remote control works with the Camera Connect app as you might expect, no problem. In video mode, remote control uses Browser Remote, as per the C70 -- but Browser Remote will not work with the built-in WiFi chip. Instead, you have to buy the external WFT-R10 WiFi GRIP -- yes, you have to buy a whole CAMERA GRIP to get an extra WiFi chip, even though the camera already has one built-in. And this grip costs £1,389.00 in the UK -- B&H have it for $999.00.

This is crazy.  My camera already has a WiFi chip built in, which probably cost one, maybe two pounds.  So why am i expected to pay ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS for an external WiFI chip?

Yes, I get that the WFT-R10 has extra features, like wired gigabit Ethernet, loads of WiFi bands, MIMO, an extra battery slot, and of course it's a vertical-shooting grip. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, and though the price is a bit eye-watering, that's what you expect for this kind of gear. But I shouldn't be forced to buy this thing just to get browser remote working. The camera already has a WiFi chip, and it already supports remote control, including live view, for photo mode. The R5 shows that it could also work for video mode, and the C70 shows that Browser Remote could use it.

I'm hoping that Canon can fix this with a firmware update. It really should be pretty simple -- after all, they already have a driver for this chip. So please, Canon, fix it. There's no way I'm buying the WFT-R10, it has nothing I need. All I want is basic WiFi, and the R5C aleady has that.

I would love to hear that Canon has plans to address this. Because right now, the R5C isn't practical for single-person piece-to-camera shooting -- which, of course, just happens to be my use case.

18 REPLIES 18

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Well said kind sir.  

Canon, please give us wi-fi connectivity in cine mode on the R5C using the existing onboard chipset.

**Edit - To be clear, I do not expect file transfer capability, just the ability to control basic functions start / stop recording, etc)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

SometimesSepia
Apprentice

Thank you for highlighting this issue! I don't want to purchase a WFT-R10 to get my R5C to do something that a regular R5 already does. This is a useful feature for solo film making. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agreed.  I'm not asking for import capability, but it would be valuable (and nice) to be able to control recording, etc.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

jabykoay
Apprentice

According to this video, there’s a simple workaround you can purchase.  Starts at 8:03

https://youtu.be/nsRZO0tIQnI?si=UwVGmSW3xsfR3FmY

I just ordered it but didn’t want to forget to share my findings. Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting that.  Yes, pushbutton/wired/wireless shutter-button remotes are certainly available.  But what I need is a remote that shows me a live view of what I look like -- where I am in frame, where the focus point is, etc.  I can do this on the R5, and on the C70, but not the R5C (without the £1400 add-on), and that's what I find frustrating.

My review of the R5C illustrates this: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear#R5C    @08:24

HarborPictures
Contributor

The newly announced Canon Multi-camera Control app announced compatibility with all the cinema line except the R5 C. What gives - any other R5 C owners a little disappointed?

ishanagarwal1
Apprentice

recently purchased my R5C RF 15-35 L  with a lot of hope that it will be helpful in production for a solo user I don't want to purchase a WFT-R10 Please Canon fix this ASAP

JFoss
Contributor

With the 12/6/23 release that enables more remote control for EOS Cinema line (minus the R5C :(. ) is it time to bump this topic up to priority?

My point earlier on the initial announcement a month or so back. I’d really like to know from the product manager for the R5 C why for all their love of calling it a hybrid camera that this feature is really lacking. 

As a CPS member, I’ve requested more on this aspect of the camera for about a year now with no progress. More voices can’t hurt. 

Announcements