cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent recording. last nights video icon is > mark and computer can't open file

hayglenda
Contributor

I hate this thing. sometimes it records just fine and videos open and save fine. great sound and picture quality. other times,the files own't opn. computer says it cant read the file. using the playback open the icon is a "?" mark and won't open. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bought a SONY camera. No more Canon. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jason
Whiz

Hi, hayglenda!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the camcorder model you have, and the operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is happy to help at http://bitly.com/ContactCanon

Thanks!

Canon vixia HF G20.

Windows 8.1

The memory card says the file is 834,684 KB of media from the recording, but I can't open the file with either 

windows media player or VLC media player. I've used this camera dozens of times, and this is the 2nd time for no reason I can fugure out, that files won't open. 

VLC code: Unidentified codec: VLC could not identify the audio or video codec

Windows media player: WMP encountered a problem while playing this file.

When I try to access storage from camers the screen icon is a "?"

Techs at both Best Buy and Frye's say that Canons are known for weird encryption of files and having them be "corrupt" when trying to download onto a computer. No more canon for me. I'd like to put this pos in the driveway and drive over it but I can probably get a few bucks at a yard sale toward the Sony I just bought. 

Bought a SONY camera. No more Canon. 

Announcements