cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5C micro-HDMI suddenly stopped working

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

I've had my R5C for less than 4 months and my micro HDMI port is no longer sending signal to my monitor/s.  There are zero signs of damage to the connector.  I even looked at it under a loupe.  No bent pins or anything.  USB-C above it works fine but the whole connector assembly appears to have movement in it, so it's possible the internal cabling/connectors could be severed.  I've been using a protector cage since day one.  It does get unplugged and plugged back in constantly as I go between Cinema and stills.  (It's my only camera other than an RP)

Have tried multiple cables, and other monitors.  Zero signal.  I take my monitor and connect it to the RP and it works fine so it's definitely the connector.  Am I stuck paying a huge repair cost or could it still be under warranty?  Camera was purchased new in April.  Any recommendations?  I don't want to be months without a camera.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Give support a call first - just to make sure it's not something silly. They're at 800-OK-CANON. (800-652-2666).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would send it to Canon for evaluation. I would assume it would be covered, as long as there are no signs of abuse. 

Thanks I suppose I'll open a case with Canon then.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

Give support a call first - just to make sure it's not something silly. They're at 800-OK-CANON. (800-652-2666).

HappyRoots
Apprentice

Try to factory reset the camera first. It's most likely the connection but couldn't hurt trying before sending off for repair.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Chris,

Camera has a 1yr warranty from Canon.  Perform the reset as suggested.  Get a case opened.  Contact support and work with them.  Although this is the busiest time of the year year, I'll bet you have your camera back in under 2 weeks.  Turn around is usually within 5-6 days.  Bummer it happened.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

I called and opened a case.  The tech and I ran through some scenarios and tried everything.  HDMI is dead. They suggested I send it in so will do so in the next few days.

Past Gear:
Current Gear:
Announcements