Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS C70 Video Comes Up as Just Audio in FCPX

blakeakablezzy
Contributor

canon c70 XF-avc 4k intra 60/24 fps

anyone having issues with the video showing up BUT ONLY AUDIO ON FCPX 

26 REPLIES 26

i was having the same issue in fcpx... download shutter encoder.
you can rewrap footage to .MOV file, Saved my life completely 

Having same problem with C70 Intra-Frame 240Mbps. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet!!

AceRaz
Apprentice

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 7.00.42 PM.png

Here are my settings, 4K 24P ALL-i, as far as I know, the 24p setting can ONLY work when the frequency is switched to 24 hz.

This was my b-cam and the a-cam was the C500ii which imports 24fps absolutely fine... so I am baffled why the c70 would suddenly  make you jump through hoops, I don't usually shoot 24fps so this is my first experience with the C70 doing this. 25fps has been flawless  since I purchased a year or so ago.

The clip only shows up as audio in FCPX but plays in both VLC and also Canon MXF player, so this makes me think FCPX or Quicktime has an issue with the C70 running 24fps ??

My FCPX project is running at 4K DCI 24fps also so I am truly baffled 

token_drone
Contributor

Canon, please fix this!  C70 Intra-Frame 240Mbps will not import into FCPX.

What is your specific macOS and version of Final Cut Pro?  I did not have any issues with Intra-frame C70 footage (true 24 fps DCI-4K at 440 Mps) on my prior iMac Pro running up to macOS 13.4.  And no issues on my M2 Mac Studio with macOS 13.4.1 and Final Cut Pro 10.6.6.

Also no issues with RAW footage (I capture in RAW ST, 24 fps, DCI-4K).  I have the CanonRAW.bundle plugin installed (/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Plugins/VendorSpecific/)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

token_drone
Contributor

Recently shot Canon C70 Intra-Frame 240Mbps footage will not import into FCPX, only recognizes the audio. Canon XF Utility recognizes the footage. Premiere Pro sees it too. Tried it on two different computers with the same result. Mac Studio M2 Max, Ventura 13.4.1, FCPX 10.6.6. Also same problem with Mac Pro 2013, FCPX 10.6.5, OS 12.6.2. I used Shutter Encoder to rewrap the files to .mov and was then able to import into FCPX. 

Here's an original clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn35fb0oyqetbpb/CanonC70.zip?dl=0

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 8.28.14 AM.png

Thanks for sharing the video file.  Are those files exactly how it came off the camera?

The .mxf file does appear in Finder to only be an audio file.   Opening in QuickTime Player reveals it's indeed audio only (or at least it thinks it is).   Final Cut would be leveraging very similar logic to what QuickTime player is using, so not surprising it would also see this as audio-only.  Linear PCM at 4.61 Mbps.

Not sure what is going on here.  Do you have the issue with all codecs? Maybe this is specific to the 240 Mbps one?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Also same problem with Intra-frame 600mbps 59.94p 

token_drone
Contributor

It's a new camera so this is my first time shooting this specific format. I shot H.264/Long GOP 108Mbps previously and that imported without issue. The files are exact and they open in Premiere, Canon Utility, Adobe Media Encoder.

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 12.06.36 PM.jpg

anthonyledonne
Apprentice

I also have this problem. By "this problem," I mean some clips show up as audio only in FCPX. The affected videos have no issue in Adobe Premiere Pro. I haven't tested in DaVinci Resolve.

I shot all 57 non-S&F format, resolution, frame rate, and bit rate combinations to figure out which were affected.

Here's a PDF of the results.

Here's a copy of the SD card, exactly as it came out of the camera. 

FCPX version 10.6.6
16-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 Max
Ventura 13.4.1

Announcements