cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XF305 forgetting date and time

Leejr
Apprentice

When the main battery is changed the date and time are lost and must be re-entered.  I plugged in the camcorder to power overnight which did not have any effect.  Is there an internal battery to be replaced?

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I believe there are internal batteries that keep certain settings alive.  I don't know if it's user-replacable though.  Probably give a call to Canon and see what could be done.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

dsenechal57
Contributor

Hi Leejr. Did you ever get an answer regarding your internal battery. According to the manual, there is an internal battery CR2025, which is a common battery. However, the manual doesn't seems to show how to access the battery to replace it. I'm having the same issue you had, just wondering if you figured it out.

I had to send the camera back to Canon to have the battery replaced.

May I ask what they charged you to replace the battery?

Manual does not say the internal battery is a CR2025.   A CR2025 battery is not a rechargeable battery.

normadel
Authority
Authority

The manual, page 197, says the BUILT-IN lithium battery can be charged by plugging camera into AC  for 24 hours. 

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300003866/12/xf300-xf305-im13-n-en.pdf

If that doesn't do it, then the camera needs service.

The issue is that the CR2025 battery, which can be purchased at Walmart, has gone bad after 10+ years. According to page 197 of the manual, it is intended that the user can change that battery (they provide recommended brand names and even warn the user not to eat the battery); however, the manual does not tell us how to do it. I cannot imagine that they'd provide this information about a readily available battery, but then require a $500 service to change it. Even their inexpensive consumer cameras allow the internal date/time battery to be changed by the user.

Button batteries are not rechargeable. It says there's an internal rechargeable lithium battery.
The manual refers to the button battery that goes into the remote control.

I'm not sure $500 is the correct pricing for this kind of repair. You might want to call support to verify. Canon USA support is available 24/7 at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).  

Thank you, Stephen, for your explanation. Because the info on the CR2025 was immediately following the info on the date/time battery and had no further explanation, I'd assumed the CR2025 was the culprit. I'll give Canon a call this morning. I have some skill in repairing cameras and electronics, so hopefully, there will be a way I can take care of this myself. Thanks, again.

Announcements