cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Dealers will not accept returns?

wobbleman99
Rising Star

In the course of perusing the websites of several of the large, Northeastern, camera retailers, it had become apparent that Canon Cinema cameras, such as the C300 MKIII and the C70, are offered as final sales, and are non-returnable.  However, no such restrictions apparently apply to other brands, such as Sony's FX6 or FX9.  I've searched the Net and could not find a logical explanation, can anyone offer one?

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Before I ordered my C70 from B&H, I was also concerned about the non-returnable clause.  But after connecting to their sales department for video gear (via phone), one could return a unit say that arrived damaged or wouldn't power on.   From what I gathered at the time, it was just that one couldn't purchase one then 30 days later (or whenever the usual return period ends), return it due to buyer's remorse.

I don't have a direct answer to your question though since I didn't ask B&H the "why".

For such expensive gear, I will recommend that you perhaps rent before you buy to make absolutely sure it's something you want to invest in.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky,

It is more of a curiosity than a deal breaker, given that they do not apply the same restrictions to simlarly priced Sony or Pansonic cameras. 

I have been dealing with B&H for over 45 years, and have always found them to be a standup company, but that disclaimer had given me pause, altough my order had already been placed. 

Perhaps there is less of a market for Canon Cine cameras than the alternatives, and they do not wish to be 'stuck' with something that might not be easy to sell.

But your renting suggestion is a good one, had I not already placed an order. But there is one caveat, and that is the fact that there are no rental agencies near my location, and it would have to have been accomplished online, which I would not find reasonable for a host of reasons.

But since you'd mentioned that you own a C70, can you tell me how you find it in handheld situations from an ergonmic perspective.  For example, do you find that you require a cage for accessory (shotgun mic, monitor/recorder, etc.) attachment?

Regards,

Ron

Addendum: Apparently, B&H is not alone in re their return policy. I just checked Texas Media's site—I've purhcased from them in the past—and found that their NO RETURN POLICY extends to other brands, and includes, Canon, Panasonic and Black Magic video cameras and lenses.

Note that the following responses are due to my ownership of a cinema camera being very niche.  I only use it for personal projects (e.g. vacations, kids sporting events).   The vast majority of folks will use a camcorder for this.  And so did I for many years.  The capabilities though of the C70 as well as it's tiny size were too good to pass up.

In terms of ergonomics, I really like it.  I don't use the top-handle though.  I connect an Azden stereo mic to the top shoe and that's it.   Keeps the unit as light and as compact as possible.

I did purchase some smallrig gear, but just a small base plate along with an Arca-swiss part to connect to a monopod if need-be.  Or to use with my tripod when doing testing/experiements at home.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been using a Panasonic S1h, but have found it necessary to incorporate a Small Rig cage and top handle for use when handheld. I too use a monopod, but recently found that the addition of a video fluid head to the monopod makes for a great and easy to use combination.  As I've aged, unsteadiness has become an issue that even the S1h's IBIS cannot completely overcome, but the video head and monopod have helped significantly. I plan to use the monopod setup with the C300 MKIII as well.

I'd considered the C70, but had been somewhat hesitant, given my experience with the S1h and the cage requirement.  With the S1h, I often use a Rode NTG-3 shotgun mic and a Black Magic Video Assist 7" 12G monitor/recorder that is connected to a Samsung T5 SSD.  I am hoping to limit the need for the Video Assist with the C300.

" one couldn't purchase one then 30 days later (or whenever the usual return period ends), return it due to buyer's remorse."

Perhaps it wasn't buyers remorse, but a discovery/concern that people were using the return period as a free rental period.

Many years agho I worked in a shoe store and we discovered that people were buying expensive dressy wonens' shoes, putting tape on the soles, wearing them to an event and then returning them for a refund.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for that interesting piece of info, I'd never hear of that maneuver.

But I doubt that it applies to the cameras in question, as the same logic should reasonably apply to all expensive cameras.  However, since everything on this planet is about money, I suspect that the policy is about cash flow, and a given store's unwillingness to offer a refund for a highticket item.  I don't know what the markup is for these cameras, but it's possible that the margin is on the thin side, leaving little wiggle room for the resale of a returned, open box item. But this is just a guess.

I agree that I am speculating. But a still camera is much more usable than a dedicated video camera. 

I'm not in the market, but perhaps someone who is could ask B&H why they have that policy. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements