cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on amount of ink used in Pro 1000 cleaning cycles

Will55
Contributor

The question is, in a best case of every 60 hour print outs, a minimal amout of ink is used for a cleaning cycle, how much ink is used for the cleaning cycle. It is important in deciding whether to purchase the printer if over a period of time, the cleaning cycles will use more ink than would make it worth it.  It has come up several times on printing forums about the Canon Pro 1000. Anyone know?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you don't get a response here jtoolman on YouTube is a great resource for info like this. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm in my third year of using the ImagePrografPro 1000. I'm assuming that is the printer you are asking about. My experience has been that I can expect to fill up about 2 waste tanks in the course of using a full set of ink cartridges. The most frustrating thing for me is the regularly spaced automatic deep cleaning that is done. A phone call to Canon support confirmed that the deep cleaning is done at preset intervals, and cannot be turned off. The positive I can report is that I have never had a print-head clog, have never had to initiate a cleaning process, and have never had a paper misfeed except due to user error on 2 occasions. My estimate is that ink is costing me about $5.00 to $6.00 per 17x25 inch print, including the ink used for cleaning. This is way cheaper than getting ink jet prints done by any lab. Compared to the Epson 3880 I used for three years before the Pro 1000, ink usage is about the same, except with the Epson I had more paper damage due to mis-feeds, ink drips, and manual cleaning due to clogs. With the Pro 1000, I have never had an ink drip, and no prints damaged by the printer, so it is, for me, less stressful to use on a daily basis.

"The most frustrating thing for me is the regularly spaced automatic deep cleaning that is done. A phone call to Canon support confirmed that the deep cleaning is done at preset intervals, and cannot be turned off. The positive I can report is that I have never had a print-head clog, have never had to initiate a cleaning process"

Thanks for reply-  Regarding the above, I do not know if you know this but, the type of cleaning cycles are timed based on how long the printer has gone between printing anything. The longer the time between printing, the more extensive and more ink is used for the cleaning cycle.  If you do not print for a long time like a week or more, much more ink used -really a lot. It will save you in ink cost a lot if you print something -just a small test sheet- before a 60 hour time limit. You should also leave the printer on. If you turn it off, when you turn it on again, it will do an extensive cleaning cycle. Check out "Q-Image." it automatically does a printout at whatever schedule you set it for.

The more ink is used in these cycles, the more the waste pads will fill up and the more they will have to be replaced.

I didn't know this specifically, but observations suggested it. I have previously read to turn the printer off after each use, but leaving it on to avoid a cleaning cycle is good except that I was under the impression that the head is sealed off more thoroughly if the unit is turned off, but I can't confirm that this is actually the case. If by Q-Image, you mean the same thing as Qimage, unfortunately it is Windows only, and I run a Mac. But, thanks anyway!

@Will55 wrote:

"The most frustrating thing for me is the regularly spaced automatic deep cleaning that is done. A phone call to Canon support confirmed that the deep cleaning is done at preset intervals, and cannot be turned off. The positive I can report is that I have never had a print-head clog, have never had to initiate a cleaning process"

Thanks for reply-  Regarding the above, I do not know if you know this but, the type of cleaning cycles are timed based on how long the printer has gone between printing anything. The longer the time between printing, the more extensive and more ink is used for the cleaning cycle.  If you do not print for a long time like a week or more, much more ink used -really a lot. It will save you in ink cost a lot if you print something -just a small test sheet- before a 60 hour time limit. You should also leave the printer on. If you turn it off, when you turn it on again, it will do an extensive cleaning cycle. Check out "Q-Image." it automatically does a printout at whatever schedule you set it for.

The more ink is used in these cycles, the more the waste pads will fill up and the more they will have to be replaced.

Qimage Ultimate is Windows only. Qimage One is macOS and Windows. It has a pattern print timed option. I haven't used so this isn't a comment on effectiveness. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

gparvan
Contributor

I purchased my Pro-1000 a few weeks ago.  I don't see much detail on past firmware updates, and after 3.5 years from the last post, is the 60hr cleaning cycle still happening?  

Announcements