cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipg pro 1000: transfering ink cartridges to new printer

smuseby
Contributor

I have an IPG Pro-1000 that will not release the gray ink cartridge. I called Canon support today, and they are sending me a replacement printer for my 5 year-old printer. Nice!

Question: can I take the other cartridges out of the old printer, and put them in the new one?

Related question: I have always wondered what happens if a non-empty cartridge is removed? if I put it back in, will it work? - register the previous ink level? - or report it as empty and require that it be replaced? At $60, I have never experimented.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Question: can I take the other cartridges out of the old printer, and put them in the new one?"

I would not do that even if it is possible. You will get a new set of inks. Use them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your response. Could you elaborate on your thinking? Mine is that I have about $500 worth of ink in the old printer, and I’m reluctant to toss them even though I will have a new set (which I assume won’t be 80ml). 

"I have about $500 worth of ink..."

Do you really? How much is used out of it? I would rather have brand new cartridges in a brand new printer for initial set up. Perhaps they will work I don't really see any reason they would not. IMHO, a better course of action might be to store them in plastic bags and use them as the new ones are depleted.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements