cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Canon color profiles not showing up in Photoshop

yukon819
Contributor

I've been having a problem with my Canon color profiles not showing up under the "Photoshop manages color" drop down for some time.  Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not.  I don't know if my Mac is hiding them or if it's photoshop or what, but when they were missing, I used to be able to go to printers in system preferences and add another printer and click the canon pro 1000 and it would create another driver (pro 1000 (2)...) and then the profiles would be there. I would have like 6 or 7 Pro 1000s on my Mac.  But now that doesn't even work.  I've deleted the printers and downloaded the drivers again and no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This didn't get published properly in my earlier post:

"The stock Canon Profiles are hidden and not automatically put into the library>Colorsync>Profiles location which makes profiles available to Affinity for instance.

They must be copied from here: library> printers> Canon> BJPrinter> Resources>  ICCProfiles>  -Then control-click on the printer you use ie. Pro 10 or Pro 100  [that one threw me] and choose in the dropdown menu: show package contents.   From there you see Contents> Resources>   All the profiles appear to be copied and then pasted in correct location:

Library> Colorsync> Profiles "

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

yes, I have not tried the "air print" thing.

If they are not hidden as described in the “accepted solution,” you need to start over. I removed everything Canon and redownloaded so that Canon would detect that they were not already installed. Good luck! My system is working fine now.

unclemac
Apprentice

Following along...it is really sad that Canon won't just update their driver installer, and push an update out that would simply place profiles where they belong.  There is no good excuse for making this so hard for users.

It's great that there are always community members that can save the day...but this is so fixable (by Canon) that it is sad and frustrating.

Agreed. I am a full time teacher, I have the ICC profiles on my old computer (from back when Canon had them posted in an easily findable location!) I don't have time hunt for them. I guess that my next printer purchases will be from Epson. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You might want to try the Adobe forum. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

unclemac
Apprentice

For those following along, I just (today) had to sort out this same issue on 3 Epson printers in a lab (two different models...including a newer and older model).   Same exact problem:

Epson (same as Canon) install the ICC profiles buried in the printer resources, instead of where they would be easy to find and use: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles

For both Canon and Epson, this is the easiest thing I have found:

1.  From an admin account, find the native ICC profiles in /Library/Printers/[brand]/
2.  Select all the profiles and copy them (leave them in place)
3.  Open /Library/ColorSync/Profiles and create a new folder with a name that makes sense (i.e.: Paper Profiles-Canon)
4.  Paste the ICC profiles into new the folder
5.  Perform a Get Info on the /Library/ColorSync folder
6.  Click the lock icon and authenticate, and then click the little circle icon and select Apply to enclosed items...

Steps 5 and 6 are essential in a lab or multi-use environment so that all users have full access (read-only) to use the ICC profiles.

Again, same process for Canon and Epson...and any other printer with buried ICC profiles (Same with some Xerox lasers too).   To be fair, it looks like Apple tightened permissions or access to the Printer resources, so they started this mess by denying access to the files.

At the same time...vendors like Canon could have easily fixed their installers ages ago to either deal with the new permissions limitations, or simply install profiles in the Profiles folder as we all expect.  🙄

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements