cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow & color management advice please

jiro
Contributor

Hi all

Using the Pixma Pro 100s.  Having issues with inaccurate colors and so need to ask a few questions rather than waste my entire fresh box of Hahnemuhle Baryta paper trying to work it out

So far I have been printing from from Canon Print Studio Pro in Photoshop, setting the paper profile in Photoshop before opening Print studio pro, then selecting no color management in PSP.  this as far as I can see is the recommended method, but prints coming out with a blue cast. 

I don't have an Eizo setup, working from a 2017 iMac

Can someone advise the proper/best method / settings to achieve accurate colors?

Is it better to print straight from Photoshop Ie. bypassing Print studio pro? 

Do I need to use colorsync ?

many thanks

37 REPLIES 37

Ok I just finished a test, printing from PS with settings as you said - still not convinced.  I have also tried turning down the brightness of my monitor a few notches, shadows still come out heavy and general tonal balance is off

See below... 'Remember to enable printers color management in the print settings dailog box' - There is no 'enable' box to tick, you do this by selecting the correct profile in the colour matching tab ?

Also the 'Colorsync color matching may produce different results' warning - I have already selected Printer manages colors so odd to be seeing this?

Also am I right in thinking It doesn't matter if the file to be printed is not converted to the ICC paper profile, as the printer does the converting ?

thanks

IMG-3170.jpg

I have just run off the same print through PSP with a +10 brightness and it's closer to what I'm seeing on screen - there is even a discernable color shift in some of the lighter areas when compared with the print from PS. 

@jiro wrote:

I have just run off the same print through PSP with a +10 brightness and it's closer to what I'm seeing on screen - there is even a discernable color shift in some of the lighter areas when compared with the print from PS. 

I suggest you use PSP and not print from Ps.

In PSP you can activate the Pattern Print tool and select the combination of settings that gives you the best result. Then save that as a custom setting that you can invoke each time you print.

There is one pattern for brightness and contrast and another for color.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.34.00 AM.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

xrischan
Contributor
I see the forum deleted the link to the paper manufactures ICM downmoad page.
Helpful

Linking to third party websites is not allowed.

I believe it is acceptable to post: ICC profiles for your paper are available at hahnemuehle-dot-com.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thanks yes I already have downloaded the correct profile for my Baryta FB paper - gonna do some more tests today will let you know if I make any progress

xrischan
Contributor
Can you confirm the printer has the icc uploaded through the Canon Profile Editor?
I have uploaded three pictures to quickly describe the work flow here.
Remember I have 5 printers run by two members of staff and simplicity is key.

IMG_20210504_123929.jpg

IMG_20210504_124528.jpg

IMG_20210504_124859.jpg

Announcements