cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Pro-10 print borderless on fine art papers?

Bob_H
Apprentice

I'm considering buying a Pro-10. I basically do nothing but 13x19 bleed prints,

and am aiming to produce archival prints on watercolor paper. 

I saw a review in   dpReview (April 2013)

that said the printer (and perhaps the Pro-1) were unable to print borderless on fineart papers.

The review of the Pro-1 made it seem like a 3 mm border is the default for all prints

(this is ambiguous - maybe the default this could be overridden?)

It's not clear from the article on the Pro-10 if that meant just using Canon software,

just using fine art paper,

and if a workaround was using Photoshop/Elements/Lightroom etc.

The conclusion of the review said that Canon was working on a firmware upgrade to address the issue.

The review was in April.  Has the firmware been updated?

If not, what exactly is the printer able to do?  Is it able to print borderless at all?

Thanks

Bob H

16 REPLIES 16

You can print on Fine Art paper using other settings for margins and profile type and get results; you just don't get very dark blacks because the printer will use photo black rather than matte black.  I've done this, it is noticiable but may be acceptable for certain kinds of prints.  Some paper manufacturers such as Red River actually provide profiles for all their papers (even their 'Fine Art' papers) that do not use the Fine Art settings and therefore can be printed borderless.

If all you need is to get something recognizable on the paper you should be fine.

I know this is an old thread, but I am a newcomer and new to Canon PRO 10 printing.  I am printing  an 11x17 image on 13x19 fine art paper and would like to use the matte black ink vice photo black.  I have an option of cutting roll paper to 13x22 so I am assuming I can do a user defined size on the PRO 10 and still get 11x17 printed image since the 30 mm is on the front and back of the paper. Has anyone tried this before I commit to some expensive paper? Thanks for any comments.

I think you have a try and see situation.  But you don't have to use your high dollar paper.  Use any paper and use the settings you want for the good stuff.  You aren't after great prints just does it work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Good idea, thanks!

@workman25 wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but I am a newcomer and new to Canon PRO 10 printing.  I am printing  an 11x17 image on 13x19 fine art paper and would like to use the matte black ink vice photo black.  I have an option of cutting roll paper to 13x22 so I am assuming I can do a user defined size on the PRO 10 and still get 11x17 printed image since the 30 mm is on the front and back of the paper. Has anyone tried this before I commit to some expensive paper? Thanks for any comments.

Using Ernie's post, if you don't have cheap 13x22 available, take two sheets of basic 13x19 paper and carefully tape a 13x3 inch piece on the end of the first piece and feed it through. Just be sure to tape the full width so there isn't anything sticking up.

Where you may run into a problem is that the printer driver looks for certain paper sizes when you select Fine Art papers. You already saw that if you try and select A3+ instead of A3+ (30mm margin).

The Pro-100 won't let you print Fine Art on custom sizes.

Annotation 2020-01-18 193447.jpg

If this is something that you will doing alot of and you are on a Windows computer (and you are willing to invest in the capability) Qimage Ultimate printing software has a hack the will override the 30mm margin - it works on the Pro-100. If you want to pursue that you could contact the vendor -ddisoftware - and see if it will work for the Pro-10.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, John for the response.  Like the 100, turns out the pro 10 doesn't allow the custom setting for fine art papers. Will look into that other software.  

shrimpcracker
Apprentice

just bought the Pixmar pr0 10 not knowing about the margin issue, and its very frustrating. I did some test printing with the matt photo paper set to quality high ( no margin restrcition ) and compare to fine art paper prints quality high and theres definitley a visible quality difference in terms sharpness and eveness. I hate the idea that I have to spend more money on a larger peice of paper just to get the size I want. I hope the firm comes soon, or at least give the users some little more control over the margin amount. 

Announcements