cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Canon CLI-42 4-Cartridge Ink Pack

dpacker
Apprentice

Hello. I initially bought this printer for photo printing, but I haven't been shooting any portraits recently, so I've been just using it as a document printer. The 8-pack cartridges are kind of expensive for that, and I found that the last one I purchased from Amazon seemed more like a quick-use starter pack than a complete set of ink, even though I paid the full price.

My question is this: can I use just the 4-cartridge pack that has the black and grey inks? What happens when the other colors run out? Will the printer operate with just the black and grey cartridges? Until I'm shooting portraits again, I prefer not to have to buy the 8-pack one for $125.

I tried to find the answer to this question in the stupid online manual, but I had no luck. 

Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, dpacker!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

I can't believe I forgot to include that.

It's the Pixma Pro-100.

Thank you!

No problem  the cli-42 was a great clue.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You must have all eight cartridges installed and with sufficient ink (so there is no" ink has run out" alarm) to use the printer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I will just get the 8-pack then. 

Announcements