cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to print on third party papers from Pro-1 in Photoshop CC2015

Evildad
Contributor

I downloaded and installed the paper profile for Silver Rag from the Museo site. When I open an image in Photoshop CC2015, I can preview the image in the Proof Setup:

CC2015_proofmenu.PNG

Here are the instructions (from the included PDF) on how to set my printer dialogue (both printer settings and Photoshop settings):

Silverrag_PDF.PNG

But when I set the printer dialogue to PPSG and so forth, the Silver Rag profile doesn't appear in Photoshop's Print menu.

CC2015_printmenu_norag.png

In this dialogue box, if I change printers and then go back to the Pro-1, the Silver Rag option DOES appear:

CC2015_printmenu_withrag.png

Unfortunately, when I go to the printer's settings, it's defaulted to a Canon paper. If I change it to anything else, the Silver Rag isn't available again. In fact, NO non-Canon paper profile is available. It doesn't matter if I choose Other Fine Art or anything else.

I still have Photoshop CS4 on my computer, and there's no problem making all the required adjustments in the printer settings and having the Silver Rag (and other non-Canon papers) show up in the print menu. I also tried Lightroom CC, and I have no problem making all the right settings show up and getting the paper profile I want.

Is this a Canon issue or a Photoshop issue?

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you getting confused between Media type and ICC/Printer profile?

You select media type in printer settings and the ICC profile in printer profile. Media type will always be a Canon paper since its part of the printer driver and Canon apaer is what the printer knows. A third parety paper supplier will identify which Canon paper is closest in surface perfromance to his paper. Museo says Silver Rag should be considered Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss in the printer driver.

Printer Profile is the ICC profile and it controls how the colors are laid down.

Since you you have Photoshop try using Canon Print Studio Pro. See the thread on Pro-100 red/magenta. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I may have confused the terminology, but I think you can see that I'm not seeing what I SHOULD be seeing. When I follow the instructions for the paper, I go into printer settings and select the printer settings advised:

CC2015_printersettings.PNG

(if you refer to my first message, you'll see these are what Museo says to use in this box)

But if I do that, then when I go back to the Photoshop Print menu, in the box where it says "Printer Profile," the Silver Rag is not available. When I go through these same steps in CS4, the Silver Rag (and everything else) IS available. You can see it selected right here:

CS4_printmenu.PNG

And the print is just dandy. I shouldn't need to install another software just to print, the whole purpose of working through Photoshop is proper color management from screen to print.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements