cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to replace ink - Need advise - Pro-1000

fbuitrag
Contributor

Hi All,

So I got my printer a few months ago and I had the mistake of turning it on/off and print photos ocassionally (1 a week)  and it seems this caused the cleaning process to spend most of the ink so now my ink levels are low and need replacement. 

I am using this for personal projects. I am not selling photos (at least not yet) 

I checked online and there are some compatible inks at half the price. I understand the quality mioght not be the same but I want to hear about any expereince of using compatible ink vs the Lucia Pro that comes with the canon. 

Also do you guys know of any discounts and how/when to find those or can recommend a retailer  ? 

Thanks in advance !! 

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

A great resource is jtoolman on YouTube.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your response. I have seen some of his youtube videos, but still it does not provide any suggestion in terms of ink replacement (unless I missed a spefici video you want to point to me? ) 

Thanks

Hi fbuitrag.

Tangential to your inquiry, I would like to help you reduce ink waste in the future with some advice.

Powering off the imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 by the power button on the unit itself will not force it to perform extra cleanings.  So long as it's connected to power, it will be able to gauge how long it has been powered off, and will only use an appropriate amount of ink to clean once it powers back on.

If the PRO-1000 is deprived of power, such as by unplugging it, turning it off by a power strip, or turning it off by a wall switch, it will be unable to determine how much time passes since last use, and will use additional ink.

I also recommend keeping the printer out of strong, direct lighting (such as sunlight) to minimize ink loss from evaporation.  To address your other concern, I do not have numbers for how much ink is used during cleanings.

Regarding third-party inks:

Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Darius, 

Interesting you saying that  I can turn it off/on would not fire the autoclean. In fact I called cannon support and this was their suggestion (but I need to be honest here , the technician did not sound too knowledgeable). 

I understand about the ink, so I guess it i'll have to be cannon ink.  

The printer is always plugged and with no electrict interruptions. Can you please confirm about the turn on/off autoclean? If it has not impact how long before the autocleaning is fired ? Is ther eanyplace I can find this information ? 

Hi fbuitrag.

Information about the automatic cleanings may be found at the following page in the PRO-1000's Online Manual:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-1000%20series/EN/BG/bg-037.html

Lack of power will set the next cleaning to "immediate" as a default; this is not mentioned on that page, though it is common among all of our inkjet printers.

Upon further digging, I found that administrator controls will allow the user to set the frequency of cleanings; refer to the following page in the Online Manual for information on those controls:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-1000%20series/EN/UG/ug_changing_settings5700.html

These controls will help you reduce the ink used up by the PRO-1000 on unnecessary cleanings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Darius, I saw this before but it does not say anything about power it off or on and how often the cleaning is required. 

Also, setting the Ink maintenance (tank installed) ON as recommended, would this use ink as well ?  

Thanks

Hi fbuitrag.

The Ink Maintenance (tank installed) will not use up the ink.  It's to prevent the particles in the ink from settling, ensuring it continues to print smoothly.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
He is a strong supporter of Precision Inks, but also acknowledges that for longevity the OEM inks cannot be beat.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements