cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended printing papers and size for Pixma Pro-100

limvo05
Rising Star

All,

Finally got my hand on the Canon Pixma Pro-100.

So excited! That said, would like to have some recommendations on the type and size of papers that work best with this printer.

Also, should I go through the trouble of calibrating the printer and monitor? I head a lot of people saying the printer print just fine without them doing anything extra.

Thank you,

LV

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

LV:

1. Paper size will depend on waht your end use is. Greater than 90% of my printing is on A3+ 13x19 size paper.

2. As a start stick with the Canon pro level papers. Pro Matte is great fro monochrome and "softer" artistic images. Pro Platinum produces stunning colorful images. For general printing Luster is good.

3. As a start for your monitor, download and print this test image from your printing software. Just open thie image and print; do not make any adjustments.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

If the printer is working correctly you should get a very good print. If not, you need to determine why.

Once you are getting good test image prints adjust your monitor brightness to be close to the printed output. The main problem folks run in to is prints too dark because monitor is too bright and they adjust the iage based on the monitor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

I misspoke the papers i got with the Printer. It's Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss 13x19.

Curious if this paper is any good? I've planned on printing some of my better works on either Metal or Acrylic. The rest mostly on 4x6 or 5x7 for the relies and friends. Not sure how easy it is to find frames for 13x19 prints. Customer made would costs too much.

Thanks,

LV

SemiGloss and Luster are very similar. Very slight difference in surface texture. 

The Pro-100 won’t handle acrylic or metal. There are metallic papers; Red River Paper makes 2. Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum has a mirror smooth surface like an acrylic sheet. Mitsubishi has a high gloss film. 

Framedestinations dot com is a good source of reasonably priced frames. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

My apology for not making myself clearer. When I said for better photos I will be doing Metal or Arcylic, I meant to say, I will be sending my works to professional labs for it. Speaking of which, any recommendation on the lab?

Also, I thought I've read somewhere, the suggestion made in the article was not to use wireless printing, as if the print drops it connection midway printing, the printer will stop printing and spit out the paper, essentially, the print job is ruined. Have you heard or experienced that?

Thank you,

LV

Hi LV.

I have no recommendations on external labs.

I have one of my computers connected to my Pro-100 via WiFi. It is in a separate room about 40 feet away. Never had a problem with connection.

I believe the printer also can be connected via Ethernet if the room where it is is wired.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Much appreciated your help and advice on this.

Wonderful resource you are, thank you,

LV

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements