cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 network settings

Dudeman44
Contributor

I just got my Pro-100 and set it up, but I can't figure out how to get to network settings. I printed out the network config page and it shows my ethernet is disabled. Where do I enable it and whee do you configure both ethernet and wifi settings? I've setup all the software that came on the CD, and I can't find anthing that connects me to those settings. It's currently connected via USB, but that's not how I want to connect. Frustrating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just use the Canon IJ Network Tool to change your settings.  Let it find the attached printer, highlight the printer port, click on the configuration tab.  Here you select the wired lan connection and have the choice to assign or let the printer get the IP automatically.  In my system, my assigned printer  IP is 10.0.0.3.  I found assigning printers in the router better as the ports (wired and wireless)  are setup and any changes in the router auto assignment messed with my printer port assignment setup.

If you have both 8-bit and 16-bit drivers installed, you may need to verify the port assignments do have the same address.  I can't recall if I needed to assign in both ports, but better to be safe.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://www.canon.ca/support_images/KB_Images/PRO100/PRO-100_setup.pdf

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your reply, however I was looking for the wired, not wireless connection. But, for anyone else looking for the wired connection, I've since found the answer elsewhere. You need to hold the lower button down and wait for the power light to flash 11 times, then let go, now your ethernet is enabled. But, you must have DHCP running for it to do anything. Then print out a network config page by letting the power light blink 5 times ( or was it 6? ) to find out what IP address it picked up. THEN open a web browser to that IP address and you can view your settings, but not change most of them.

Being a network admin, the downside to this printer, is that the built in networking appears to be an afterthought. This is one of the most network UNFRIENDLY printers I've ever dealt with. How can you have built in ethernet and not have any way to set a static IP address? About the only thing you can do is rename the wireless access point to what ever you want, other than that, networking is just along for the ride in read only mode. The nework configuration and options are not very well documented anywhere that I can find, I had to kind of peice together informaion from several sources and use trial and error. I don't get it, for a company like Canon, which makes great professional network copiers and printers, why did they kind of push networking aside on this device?

"Being a network admin, the downside to this printer, is that the built in networking appears to be an afterthought. This is one of the most network UNFRIENDLY printers I've ever dealt with. How can you have built in ethernet and not have any way to set a static IP address?"  

The printer has nothing to do with it.  Are not static IP addresses defined by the device, DHCP server, that creates the dynamic addresses, by associating a device's MAC address to a specific IP address?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I wound up creating whats called a reservation within DHCP, which ties the MAC address to an IP. But that's not how pretty much any other printer works. This is the first network printer I've worked with that DOES NOT allow you to define an address within its settings section. That's just bad design. The downside of using DHCP for this is that you wind up being confined to an IP within the scope of all other random devices. I generally like to put my printers startig at x.x.x.200-210 range. You can do that with a static IP, but if you're stuck using DHCP, now I've got one printer that is outside of IP range of all the other printers, just looks bad and is not normal. Oh well, maybe with the next firmware revision. But is this firmware even updatable? I haven't checked that yet.

Just use the Canon IJ Network Tool to change your settings.  Let it find the attached printer, highlight the printer port, click on the configuration tab.  Here you select the wired lan connection and have the choice to assign or let the printer get the IP automatically.  In my system, my assigned printer  IP is 10.0.0.3.  I found assigning printers in the router better as the ports (wired and wireless)  are setup and any changes in the router auto assignment messed with my printer port assignment setup.

If you have both 8-bit and 16-bit drivers installed, you may need to verify the port assignments do have the same address.  I can't recall if I needed to assign in both ports, but better to be safe.

Boskey - You're the man! I looked it up online and followed this page:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART128558

Oddly, the utility didn't install on my PC, but I had installed the apps from the CD on a Mac as well, and there it was! That solved my problem, it's now a static IP, that's just really a wierd way to go about doing it. Anyway, problem solved, thanks!

I know this is 2 years old but I got the same problem and am not finding the network tool on the website.

Anyone have a copy of it?

Not being able to set a static IP is dumb. Yes, I can create a DHCP reservation but if it does offline for a couple days it picks up a new IP address. Making the DHCP reservation useless.

If you are using Windows, the LAN tool is included in the driver download.  It should show up IJ Network Tool in your installed software Canon Utilities listings (if you allowed the shortcuts to install); or go to program files (x86)>Canon>Canon IJ network tool.  The application CNMNPUT.EXE is in that folder.

Announcements