cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prints too dark...that old chestnut

mbridge87
Apprentice

I know this is a very common issue but I was still hoping you guys may be able to help. 

I'm a pro photographer with a good understanding when it comes to profiling my monitor and an OK understanding of printer profiling. I print all my work using my lab and only tend to print documents and the occasional shot at home. Photo's printed at home are more for reference / checks and hence 100% colour accuracy is not too important but luminosity / brightness is. 

I got a Pixma 7550 a little while ago but have only just used it to print a test. I've found the image extremely dark compared to my monitor. I don't expect it to be perfect but it required a 2 stop adjustment in Photoshop to get the print close in luminosity to what I see.

By adjusting the Colour / intensity to Light, the images were pretty accurate but I wondered if there is anything obvious I'm doing wrong. 

Here's some screen grabs of the print settings:

Photoshop dialogue.JPG

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

screen3.JPG

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What is the setting on the tab "Matching"? It looks like you have selected "Photoshop manages Color" in which case  Matching should be set to "None" and you need to select the paper ICC profile in Photoshop.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey John, 

Thanks for your reply, 

The one screen I missed! Ha ha. Thanks so much. That sorted it out. 

In terms of ICC, I don't have one for this paper nor the means to create one. I've found the one I currently have selected works best. It's close enough for my home test prints.

Thanks again. 

Max

Glad to help Max. Here's a good test image: http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

Does the paper manufacturer recommend a Canon media type? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm ashamed to say it's just a cheap paper off Amazon. As I said, anything I need properly printed goes to my lab. The prints I make here are just another way for me to analyse my edits. I often find that by printing I notice other issues which may have been missed in PS. 

Thanks again John 

Announcements