cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing on 8x12 photo paper

MaryL
Apprentice

I am new to this community and relatively new to using my Pixma Pro-100.  I have just been printing lots of photos from a recent photo safari in Botswana, and I'm having trouble printing on 8x12 size paper.  Because the aspect ratio of some of my photos fit the 8x12 size and would look nice in that size, I purchased some Inkpress Media luster paper in 8x12 size through B&H.  I was told the specs for this paper are already loaded into the Pixma Pro-100 printer, so I thought it would be no problem.  However, no matter what I've tried so far, I cannot get the printer to print on this paper without leaving an approximate 1/4" white border on one of the short edges.  I tried re-sizing my photo to exactly 8x12 size; in the print menu (through Photoshhop Elements) I selected the correct print size "actual size" and then moved the slider just a bit to fill the preview frame with the entire photo; tried borderless and non-borderless.  The problem seems to be with the selection of paper size. There is no selection for 8x12, and the "custom" selection will not let me select that size and instead gives me an error message saying I've put the wrong numbers in and it will select the closest size.  So, I get that darn single border!   The only way I've been able to print my 8x12 photos is to waste a larger piece of photo paper and print the 8x12 in the middle of it and cut it.  There MUST be a way.  I really do like this printer and it has given me very nice looking photos.  But I want to figure out the 8x12 thing if possible.   Is there a printer driver or something like that which is needed?  I'm not totally computer/printer savvy, but I think I could install a new printer driver if I needed to - and if it wouldn't screw up my printer in other ways. In the meantime, I will just go on wasting paper, I guess.

Thanks for any advice,

Mary

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

RobRut
Contributor

I had a problem getting 8 x 10 to fit on 8.5 x 11 paper.  I downloaded the Canon Print Studio Pro, in the latest version.  It has helped to a degree, but what it is doing is that it's shrinking the images to 6.75 x 8.5.  I think there are border settings I can adjust.  So, check for the latest driver...might help!

View solution in original post

Thanks, Rob, I will try that. If anyone else has any additional suggestions, that would also be great.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

I checked on the Inkpress website and I don't see that size paper listed. Is it a special paper?

What B&H meant that the Inkpress paper surface and print response is very close to Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (II) so you can choose that paper profile when readying to print.

Canon makes a printer plugin called Print Studio Pro. It will work with Photoshop Elements (depending on your version).

Go here to download latest version - https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers...

If you still need assistance come back on line. Meanwhile I will try inputing 8x12 and see what I see with my pronter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi all,

I found a bit more info, so I thought I would pass it along in case it would be helpful to you or others.  I'm sure this may not be the best or only approach, but it's something someone suggested on the Pentax Forum that works for me.  I have just used my Photoshop Elements 14 to re-size the photos to exactly 8x12 and then printed them "actual size" on 13x19 paper on my Canon. They actually suggested printing two images per page.  If I want to use my Epson 3880 instead of the Canon, I can print them on 11x14 instead if I have more of that size paper than I have 13x19.  In any event, it works and all I have to do is cut the resulting photo and frame it.  Since I got a package of 13x19 photo paper free with my Canon printer, I don't mind using it this way and don't feel like I'm wasting expensive paper.

FYI, the Red River Paper site also has a short article "How to Print Borderless 11x14 on a Canon Printer" which was great to find.  Re-size the canvas of the 11x14 image and print it on 11x17 paper (though I'm leaving out some of their details).  I haven't tried that yet, because I already printed as many 8x12 size photos as I wanted and don't have any more 11x14s to print either at the moment.  But for future reference, I'm glad to know we can make our Canon printers put out an 11x14 image without having to use the much larger 13x19 paper to do so.  When I want do print 11x14 I will go back and read it again in more detail and give it a try.

Re the 8x12 Inkpress paper, I haven't actually looked on their website.  I got it from B&H.  I think if you go to the B&H site and search 8x12 photo paper, it will come up.  It is very nice paper which, as you say, is very similar to the semi-gloss, but to tell the truth I prefer the glossy look rather than "luster" or semi-gloss.  But then I'm still experimenting in printing my own photos rather than sending them out for someone else to do.  Although it has been a bit frustrating, it is fun and I feel a real sense of satisfaction when I get it right.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mary

6 REPLIES 6

RobRut
Contributor

I had a problem getting 8 x 10 to fit on 8.5 x 11 paper.  I downloaded the Canon Print Studio Pro, in the latest version.  It has helped to a degree, but what it is doing is that it's shrinking the images to 6.75 x 8.5.  I think there are border settings I can adjust.  So, check for the latest driver...might help!

Thanks, Rob, I will try that. If anyone else has any additional suggestions, that would also be great.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

I checked on the Inkpress website and I don't see that size paper listed. Is it a special paper?

What B&H meant that the Inkpress paper surface and print response is very close to Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (II) so you can choose that paper profile when readying to print.

Canon makes a printer plugin called Print Studio Pro. It will work with Photoshop Elements (depending on your version).

Go here to download latest version - https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers...

If you still need assistance come back on line. Meanwhile I will try inputing 8x12 and see what I see with my pronter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi all,

I found a bit more info, so I thought I would pass it along in case it would be helpful to you or others.  I'm sure this may not be the best or only approach, but it's something someone suggested on the Pentax Forum that works for me.  I have just used my Photoshop Elements 14 to re-size the photos to exactly 8x12 and then printed them "actual size" on 13x19 paper on my Canon. They actually suggested printing two images per page.  If I want to use my Epson 3880 instead of the Canon, I can print them on 11x14 instead if I have more of that size paper than I have 13x19.  In any event, it works and all I have to do is cut the resulting photo and frame it.  Since I got a package of 13x19 photo paper free with my Canon printer, I don't mind using it this way and don't feel like I'm wasting expensive paper.

FYI, the Red River Paper site also has a short article "How to Print Borderless 11x14 on a Canon Printer" which was great to find.  Re-size the canvas of the 11x14 image and print it on 11x17 paper (though I'm leaving out some of their details).  I haven't tried that yet, because I already printed as many 8x12 size photos as I wanted and don't have any more 11x14s to print either at the moment.  But for future reference, I'm glad to know we can make our Canon printers put out an 11x14 image without having to use the much larger 13x19 paper to do so.  When I want do print 11x14 I will go back and read it again in more detail and give it a try.

Re the 8x12 Inkpress paper, I haven't actually looked on their website.  I got it from B&H.  I think if you go to the B&H site and search 8x12 photo paper, it will come up.  It is very nice paper which, as you say, is very similar to the semi-gloss, but to tell the truth I prefer the glossy look rather than "luster" or semi-gloss.  But then I'm still experimenting in printing my own photos rather than sending them out for someone else to do.  Although it has been a bit frustrating, it is fun and I feel a real sense of satisfaction when I get it right.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mary

epowell01
Apprentice

I'm having trouble printing an 8x12 photo on 11x17 Photo Paper.  I get many different sizes, other than what I want!  I'm printing thru GIMP, but then setting up my printer thru my printer dialogue box.  I've tried so many combos, but none have been what I think I'm setting.  

My photo is sized to 8x12, and in the Page Set up in GIMP, I selected the 11x17 paper (this seems to keep chainging back to 8.5x11); and then I select "Print" which take me to my Canon Printer dialogue box. 

Under "General", I select my Canon iP8700 series.  I then check "Image Settings", and it shows my photo as 8x12 on a larger paper size.  I click on "Center Both", and click on box to Ignore Page Margins.  I then go back to General, and click on "Preferences" for my Canon iP8700 (this is the correct driver for my iP8720). 

Under "Quick Set-up", I select "Photo Printing", Semi-gloss paper, High Print Quality and 11 x 17 paper size, realizing I'll have to cut it down to my 8x12 size. 

Then, I go to "Page Setup."  I'm a little confused about "Page Size"...is that my phot size or the Paper Size int he Printer?  I've tried it many different ways, and I haven't gotten 8x12 yet.  So, I'll select 11x17, page layout is "norma,"and press OK.

I click on "Print, and my Print Preview shows the Paper size as 8.5x11?!  When I do other combos and select the Custom option, and put in 11x14 to print my 8x12 photo, then I get an 11x14 photo! 

How do I get an 8x12 Photo printed on 11x14 or 11x17 paper, and actually have it print my specified size?!  I've wasted about 20 pieces of photo paper, not to say ink, trying to get this right.  I've never had this problem before...it's bizarre!

Help please!

Thanks, Eloise 

sionnach
Apprentice

I've newly acquired a Pro-100, which I love, but I'm distressed by this thread (however long ago it was started).  35 mm fim was in the ratio of 1:1.5 (or pretty near) and my digital camera is precisely that.  So is 8 X 12 photo paper.

When we take photographs, we don't start out planning to crop them, though I admit that back in chemical darkroom days I had to trim the borders of 8 X 10 paper.  I was just hoping for more.

A little bit later:  <-------------------------

Okay, I feel like an idiot, since I hadn't installed Print Studio Pro, thinking it might be bloatware. I can customize for an 8" X 12" paper, though I gotta say, the software plugin install steps are horrible, not being able to auto-detect Photoshop CC or Lightroom Classic. Now, to order some of that 8 X 12 paper!

Marshall

Announcements