cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Problem with Pro-100 and Photoshop

JMDavis
Apprentice

This is my setup: using Mac Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) & editing & printing from Photoshop CS 6. I have new Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer and set it up OK. First thing printed was a page from a document from MS Word on 8.5X11 plain paper - this came out OK. Next I fire up Photoshop and open a 4X6 inch image (just a snapshot in jpeg, landscape format) to do a test print.  I set it up in the print dialog as 4X6 paper, Canon's Pro Glossy paper profile, rear tray, standard print quality, Photoshop manages the color.  I load the paper in the rear tray close the covers and hit print.

Now, when it starts to print the printer moves about 3.8 inches of paper out of the printer and it starts printing on the remaining 2.2 inches then spits the paper out.  It does this in Photoshop (any image, it doesn't matter), and it does it printing from Nikon’s Capture NX.  I have been able to get it to print on the paper correctly using Apple's Preview program but that that's not going to do me any good. I was on the phone with Canon tech support for about 2 hours and they were completely puzzled suggesting I would have to use Canon's printing apps instead to print - that doesn't do me any good either. I want to be able to print from Photoshop. I have the most recent Canon driver, and Photoshop is up to date. Any one every heard of this or experienced the same problem?  I don’t think I’ve overlooked anything. Thanks JMDavis!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JMDavis,

Have you tried printing using the Print Studio Pro plugin for Photoshop?  If this is not install, it is available for download from Canon's web site.  To download and install Print Studio Pro, please follow these steps:

1.  Visit Canon's website at:    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2.  Type PIXMA PRO-100 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Click Software.

5.  Click on Print Studio Pro.

6.  If you agree, please select the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

7.  Click on the Download button.

8.  The file will be downloaded to your Downloads folder.  

9.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

10.  Double click [mpsp-mac-1_3_5-ea9_2.dmg] in your Downloads folder.  Files will extract.

Follow the prompts and installation will complete.

Once installed, please open your image in Photoshop and print it using the Print Studio Pro plugin.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JMDavis,

Have you tried printing using the Print Studio Pro plugin for Photoshop?  If this is not install, it is available for download from Canon's web site.  To download and install Print Studio Pro, please follow these steps:

1.  Visit Canon's website at:    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2.  Type PIXMA PRO-100 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Click Software.

5.  Click on Print Studio Pro.

6.  If you agree, please select the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

7.  Click on the Download button.

8.  The file will be downloaded to your Downloads folder.  

9.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

10.  Double click [mpsp-mac-1_3_5-ea9_2.dmg] in your Downloads folder.  Files will extract.

Follow the prompts and installation will complete.

Once installed, please open your image in Photoshop and print it using the Print Studio Pro plugin.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to be able to print from Photoshop."

Using the "plug-in" is still printing from Photoshop.  It just intercepts the process as a different interface.  Not a whole lot differeent than just PS without it.  It is worth a try.

It let's you see exactly what is going to the printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I tried using the Canon Plug In - "Print Studio Pro"-  last night.  And, yes, it did make things work OK - I can print to 4x6 paper and all comes out fine.  Still, I'm just one of those people that thinks this isn't right.  I should be able to print directly from Photshop CS 6.  I'm used doing that, I've done it on my previous Epson printers and every where I look in various forums, and other sources in the net, people talk about printing to the Pro-100 from Photoshop - the major problems in these situations is "dark prints" and color that if off.  I just can't figure out why this won't work - and I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.  Just had to vent.

If it prints OK with PSP, you have a setting in Photoshop set wrong.  I understand wanting to print "directly" from PS.  That is the way I print.  When set properly, the prints are fantastic.  I have some color shifting with the exact same settings when printing from Lightroom.  So I know there is some "changes" that Adobe is doing to the output file before printing.

EB

I was also thinking something set wrong in Photoshop  -  but where, and what??  I have gone over those settings more than 25 times and with each try it does the same thing no matter what I do.  I've gone over the Photoshop preferences, worked on "print settings", and fiddled with print dialog for Photoshop.  No matter what, it behaves the same.

I just can't see what there could be that is set wrong.  I just know other people have to have the same set up I have (i.e. equipment, OS, software, and printer) yet I don't see other posts, stories, blogs - whatever - with this problem.  I know I'm not that clueless about setting up a print job on a Mac - I've been working with computers 25 years and Photoshop for the last 14 years.

This is so frustrating.  My wife says my age is catching up to me and that's when this type of thing happens - you get all forgetful.  You said that you also print directly from Photoshop CS 6 - if these is anything (a setting, etc.) that you can think of that I could change - no matter how small, obvious, or whatever, let me know, please.  JMDavis

Did you go into page size? I know that will screw up LR

If it doesnt match.
EB

I am on my cell right now. I will look PS over more closely when I get home.
EB

Well I've had people advise to check the "page size",  but I don't have anything labrled as such.  I'm using a Mac so that might account for it, i.e. diffences in menu choices.  The only thing I have that comes close is when I select print the Photoshop print dialog comes up - from there at the top I click on printer settings and from there can select a "paper size".

That all that comes close.  JMDavis

• Choose File > Print.
    Select the printer, number of copies, and layout orientation.
  • In the preview area at left, visually adjust the position and scale of the image relative to the selected paper size and orientation. Or to the right, set detailed options for Position And Size, Color Management, Printing Marks, and so on.

In Mac OS, expand the Color Management section, and select Send 16-bit Data to produce the highest possible quality. 

EB
Announcements