cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Studio Pro Windows 10 installation issues

mnscheu
Contributor

Hello,

I've just purchased a Pixma PRO-10 and am really struggling with getting the print studio pro plugin working with Adobe Photoshop CC 2020(version 21.x) running on Windows 10 Home.

I just tried to restarting the whole process from a clean slate, so I uninstalled and reinstalled all the canon drivers and software I could find, but for some reason I cannot remove Print Studio Pro(version 2.2.3) from the system.  Whenever I click 'Uninstall' via Windows -- the UAC pop-up appears, I click yes to proceed, and then the uninstaller disappears and nothing happens.  If I try and reinstall PSP again using the latest driver from Canon's website I am able to click through the installer prompts normally, and after accepting the EULAs and choosing an install destination and clicking 'Next' the installer disappears and nothing happens again.  No files are extracted to the destination I've selected, and nothing shows up in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins" directory.

I am at a loss as to what to do next other than reinstalling windows completely and I really don't want to have to do that.  The printer is of little value to me if I cannot get PSP integrated with Photoshop, so any help would be very much appreciated 😞

If there are any additional details I can provide that would help troubleshoot this please let me know.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you think you want to tweak the printer output you can create a pattern print. You can select varies mixes of C, Y, M or brightness contrast.

Annotation 2020-07-01 143711.jpg

You will get a print like this

Annotation 2020-07-01 143913.jpg

Pick the one you like best and dial in the settings.

Then you can save a special file that you can recall and select when you want.

Annotation 2020-07-01 144030.jpg

I've never found the need for that since my printer output is close enough for my needs, but I'm not selling prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART172390&cat=PRO_SERIES&actp=LIST

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply, but the linked KB article is for MacOS and my system is running Windows 10.  I've been following this article here: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART169566&actp=RSS

Unfortunately the process is breaking down for me at step 4 -- I can follow the on-screen instructions up to "Change Installation Location" dialogue box, but when I hit 'Next' it just seems to crash and no files get copied.

When you want to change the installation location are you selecting "Browse" and browsing to the Photoshop plugin folder and then selecting next:  

Annotation 2020-06-28 200043.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Greetings jrhoffman75 

@mnscheu,

You said "seems to crash" ... 

Is it crashing?  

Have you reviewed the System Event Viewer for information regarding the unsuccessful removal or installation of PSP?

If nothing is there, its not "crashing".

I use the Microsoft Install / Uninstall Troubleshooter in cases like these...  something won't uninstall conventionally from the programs and Features applet, or when a product's own uninstaller fails.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

Its similar to Revo in some ways but allows you to safely identify and repair or remove software that isn't behaving.  Maybe you have something else going on with your system we are unaware of.  Other incompatible software, Anti-Virus, file system issues, etc.

Installing over the top of a problematic install, or attaempting to install to another working directory might not end with a desired result or could introduce other undesired behavior.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@jrhoffman75

Yes, unfortunately the behavior is the same if I try and install to the default location, or directly to Photoshops plug-in dir.

@shadowsports

You are correct, I am unsure if this is actually a crash -- the behavior makes it seem like it is since the installer exits without any further messages/pop-ups, but I have not checked the event viewer yet.  I'll do that as soon as I am able and report back. 

I actually did try Microsoft's install troubleshooter, but the "Print Studio Pro" application did not show up as an option.  FWIW the system was recently installed and there is no antivirus running, or any apps at all other than creative cloud software.  Thank you both for your suggestions so far, I really appreciate the assistance!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

robnich
Enthusiast

>>The printer is of little value to me if I cannot get PSP integrated with Photoshop, so any help would be very much appreciated >>

I am curious -- what does Print Studio Pro offer you that you cannot do with Photoshop? For my needs, I find that PSP does not add any additional useful features beyond those of Photoshop CS6, printing with a Pixma Pro-100.

Robert N.

I use Lightroom as my editing software, but I agree about PSP. I have it installed but I don't use it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

hmm, I was under the perhaps(?) mistaken impression that having the printer manage the color was necessary for getting an accurate print, and that I needed PSP to integrate with photoshop in order to do this.

If it's helpful, I'm a traditional illustrator/painter with a very strong background in color theory, but I'm just starting to learn digital printing so I can start selling prints of my work.  If I don't actually need PSP to get accurate colors with the PRO-10, how do you guys ensure your prints match what you're seeing on the screen?  Is there a reference or documentation you would recommend I get started with to better-understand how to get accurate prints?

Thank you so much for any advice you're able to offer, learning all the new tech has been a lot of fun and it the possibilities are endless, but I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to figuring out printing.

Announcements