cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 9500 mkii 2 green and cyan colors won't print - dedicate to B&W ?

denpapp
Apprentice

I've had this printer for a number of years and have always really liked all of my prints and especially my B&W prints with RedRiv Palo Duro SG.  Now that it seems that my G and C heads have had electronic failure, rather than invest in new hardware and repair on an old printer, I plan to use the 9500 exclusively for B&W for as long as I can.  Has anyone tried a similar approach ? Can anyone think of downsides in doing this ?  I can't Man Happy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I have seen posted that with the Pro-100 dye printer printing monochrome also uses color inks since the black dye isn’t perfect black.

I haven’t seen a similar posting relative to the pigment version. The black pigment may be a purer black since even some inexpensive all-in-ones use black pigment for text and dye for photos/color printing.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

yes i thought that the dye printer uses other colors (plus the one black one) to get to black.  Your theory about pigment sounds reasonable to me as well.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Nothing to lose by trying. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hello John, thanks for chiming in.  As a follow-up on this issue, the green and cyan nozzles are still blocked and I've kind of surrendered to the realization that short of replacing the heads/nozzles, they will be permanently blocked.  This will not be an issue for me at the moment because I am very satisfied with my color from my 9000.

What is encouraging is that I have downloaded what seems to be a very comprehensive Black and White test print, and I  printed it from my 9500 mkii, and the quality looks very good for my usage. 

Just out of curiousity, do you or anyone know for sure if the absence of the green and cyan in Black and White printing with the 9500 mkii has any effect at all on B&W prints ? In other words when printing B&W with the 9500 does the printer only use the Grey, Photo Blk and Matte Blk inks and basically ignores the other 7 inks ? 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I have seen posted that with the Pro-100 dye printer printing monochrome also uses color inks since the black dye isn’t perfect black.

I haven’t seen a similar posting relative to the pigment version. The black pigment may be a purer black since even some inexpensive all-in-ones use black pigment for text and dye for photos/color printing.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

yes i thought that the dye printer uses other colors (plus the one black one) to get to black.  Your theory about pigment sounds reasonable to me as well.  Thank you.

Announcements