cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II 'Filter' failed message

franfield49
Apprentice

My Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II printer will print a perfect test print, but when I try to print a simple 4 x 6 from Photoshop CC 2020 on my iMac running Mohave 10.14.6, I get the message "Stop printing of all jobs to this printer"  and "Stopped -- 'Filter' failed, 1 page". Does this have something to do with the overflow reservoir?  The printer has been idle for a while, but the ink tanks are fine and the nozzle check looks perfect. What's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you very much for that information.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is actually a divers problem and doesn't have to do with the Waste Ink tank or your hardware. 

Canon has been incremetally updating its drivers to support Catalina and Adobe CC 2020, but I don't see any drivers for the 9000 (10.14 or 10.15) Mojave or Catalina. 

Since you are using a MAC with Adobe software, I would have recommended using Print Studio Pro, which is also being updated to support later versons of Adobe CC and Elements.  However, not on the case of the 9000, or at least not yet. 

Do you get this problem printing from other apps? 

Since there are no drivers or apps certified for 2020 and this model currently, I would remove the printer for System Preferences > Printers and Scanners completely using right-click and resetting the printiing system.  Now restart and re-add the 9000 to your MAC.  There is not a CUPS driver for 10.14, so you will have to rely on native support and hope (try) to get the printer to play nice with Adobe's latest release.  There might be other work arounds, but they will not give you a smooth pain free workflow.   

I know your 9000 is very reliable, but its starting to show its age (7-10 yrs old).  You can also contact Canon and see if there are plans for a newer software release. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

franfield49
Apprentice
Thank you for your thorough, prompt response. I have not tried printing from any other applications as PS is all I really use. I will try the Reset option you offered, but it sounds like I will be replacing the printer.
What are your thoughts about the Pro1000? I’m a bit apprehensive about it after viewing some of the internet feedback which can be quite negative, even though most people think it prints beautifully. I’d like to move up to the 17x22 size and the larger ink tanks; I’m just having a hard time pulling the trigger even with the current rebate offers that help make it a bit more affordable but still expensive.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi franfield49,

The filter failed error is caused by the use of an incorrect driver.  The PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II is not supported with macOS v10.14.  The last operating system that was supported was macOS v10.13.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you very much for that information.

@transfield49,

I haven't had a good photo printer for some time.  I just recently picked up a Pro-100, but haven't spent enough time with it yet. 

The Pro 1000 is a large step up from the Pro 10 which has exceptional B&W printing capabilities.  The 1000 stands out with even more inks and the optimizer which depending on paper type, adds the additional depth and luminance to your printed photos making their reproduction look even more real.  Its one of Canon's finest medium - large professional format printers.

Your 9000 in its day was a great printer.  Super high resolution and # of print nozzels.  To Canon's credit, you now get similar results on the 1000 at half the resolution due to its improved ink delivery and paper handling. 

I think the 1000 is a logical upgrade for you coming from a 9000 mkII.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Patrick,

I just read your comments about the upgrade program.  Do you know if that program remains active?

I've been happily using the 9000 Mark II for some time now, apparently a lot longer than I realized, and it has no issues other than I am no longer able to make changes such as paper type, select different profiles, etc..

I've looked over the Canon web pages and do not find a reference to the program.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Fuson

If this is the case, then the printer drivers aren't installed or not installed correctly. You should delete the drivers from the /Library/Printers/Canon folder, then delete the printer from Printers and Scanners and re-add it. Don't upgrade if you don't have to.

Hello yestarday my pro 9000 II could not print because filter failed and i did everthing that you said but error is still there ,the problem started when i installed my new pro 100. Help

Did you delete the /Library/Printers/Canon folder? Did you delete the printer from the Printers and Scanners preference pan and re-add the printer?
Announcements