cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 print head clog/not printing colors on print test

roseflower
Apprentice

I bought my pixma pro 100 in 2018 and use it regularly (at least several times a week) for my art prints which I sell on Etsy. It has been fantastic, no issues. I heard that letting it sit is bad and leads to clogs so I thought I didn't have to worry about that. I have a MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4

A few months ago I noticed that the lamp would flash saying "ink tank level not detectable" or "replace ink tank" when the tanks (all OEM btw) where still around 25% full. It also started to not recognize my LGY tank at all even though its full and prints fine.

Then I noticed streaks in my art prints, so I did a nozzle check to find white streaks in M and PM. Did cleaning and then deep cleaning. It cleared it up for a couple days.

But then the streaks came back. Cleanings didn't help. Did a deep clean, waited 24 hours. Didn't help. 

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole (jtoolman!! and others) and tried a manual cleaning method of ammonia, isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. I let the print head sit in about 1/4" of the solution over a pad of paper towels for several hours and then dry for a few days (was this too long?)

When I put it back in with the ink cartridges the ink test print is insane. Not printing PC/M/Y/PM AT ALL. Barely printing others. Printed a few tests, all like this. Did a cleaning, printed a test, the same. Just did a deep cleaning and going to wait 24 hours.

Here's a pic of the print test. Is my print head dead? Does this sound like an issue with the print head itself or something electronic with the printer?? Is it even worth buying a new print head on ebay now that the pro 100 is discontinued? 

Any advice/suggestions is much appreciated. insane print test

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If I was in this situation and I didn't have a stock of Pro-100 ink cartridges I would just upgrade to a Pro-200. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements