cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 Questions

ed_vatza
Enthusiast

I've spent the better parts of several days trying to untangle several issues. Obviously I am doing something wrong but don't knbow what.

Q1. What is the latest print driver for the Pro-100? I've tried to install what Canon had shown as the latest (12.5.) but when I check under system preferences/printers on my iMac, I keep seeing 13.7.1.0. That is the same that I see for  my MG6120. I don't think they should be the same. Should they? 

Q2. Where do I look on my iMac for printer drivers? I go to the buried printer film. I see Canon. But I can't find the actual driver. Where do I look?

Q3. This all came about because I have not been satisfied with the quality of the prints, particularly black and white, that I have been getting. When I go to print to black & white files (made in LR), I turn off the color profile and let the printer manage. This is what I do with my Epson 3800 and get beautiful prints. If I print, I get a greenish cast. If I check the black and white box under quality and media, I get a magenta cast. 

Q4. How do I set up for 16 bit printing?

I've got to believe I have erred somewhere in setup but can't figure out where. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers
6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe the CUPS driver is a package that contains drivers for a number of printers. 12.5 is current CUPS. 

When end you add printer to computer in System Preferences make sure you do not select Bonjour or AirPrint. Wait for a while until IJ Printer shows up. 

Consider installing and using Print Studio Pro plugin to Lightroom until you sort out the settings you want. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you for responding John. I came across this on an Apple site --  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465. It purports to show the latest updates for all kinds of printers and scanners including Canon obviously. It shows the latest driver software version as the 13.7.1.0 for both the Pro-100 and MG6120 as well as many others. So that at least answers my first question. And I do have the latest driver version.

I still can't find or at least don't recognize the driver files in the Canon folder within the Printer folder buried in my iMac. But that may no longer be an issue.

I saw a video that showed selecting a specific version to download for 16-bit files. I can't find that option on my iMac. Is it possible it downloads automatically and 16-bit files are not an issue. If that's the case it only leaves me with...

THE COLOR CAST ISSUE. As I said, I only use Color Management ICC profiles for color printing. 98% of what I do is black and white where  convert the RAW file to B&W and process in Lightroom. When I go to print the converted B&W file, switch to color management managed by printer. Now under quality and media there is a Black & White print check box. I think that is for doing a black and white print from a color file so I leave that unchecked. When I do I get a greenish cast to my print. If I check the box, the print has a magenta cast. Sorry for being long winded but I am trying to be as complete as possible. Question is how do I correct the cast to get a print comparible to what I get from Epson 3800 (set up the same way)? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Ed. I am away from home till Tuesday. If no one resolves your problem before then I will post my pertinent settings.

In the mean time, to minimize variables, (at the risk of repeating things you already tried):

1. Are you using Canon papers and profile.

2. Have you tried letting printer manage color.

3. When letting LR manage color did you verify that color management was turned off in the printer driver.

4. Did you try printing a standard test image like the Outback Photo printer test image.

I think the 16 bit file you are talking about is the Windows XPS driver. There is no special Mac version. You can select 16 bit printing in Lightroom.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Understand you are away. Thanks for the help so far.

Regarding paper -- I started using Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique which is one of my two preferred papers when using my Epson 3800. I got the casting so I switched to some Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II. STill getting the casting.

Regarding color management -- With my Epson, I let the printer manage color for black & white and use ICC profiles for color. With the PRO-100 , I have tried to print B&W both with ICC profiles and letting the printer manage the color. Same result with the color casting. And with color I used both Canon's ICC profile for the Baryta as well as Canson's profile. Same.

Yes, color management is off when LR manages color using ColorSync profiles.

No I have not tried printing a standard test image. I keep printing the same black and white file of mine everytime I make an adjustment. SO far nothing has matched the pure black & white prints I get from the 3800. 

Finally, you may be right about the XPS being just for Windows. I just check the 16-bit box and run from there.

So to reiterate, most of my original questions have been resolved to my satisfaction. And 13.7.1.0 is the latest driver. Now it's just a matter of clearing up the magenta cast. You may have noted a separate post regarding it with a screen capture of my settings.

Thanks again.

Ed

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Photo Paper Plus Glossy II is not Canon's finest IMHO. I would suggest trying Pro Luster or a matte.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Understand. It is the only Canon paper I have on hand in 8 1/2" x 11". I do have Pro Luster in 13" x 19" but don't want to waste it on a bunch of test prints. And just for the record, I've been running the PPPG II through the Epson for comparison prints. 

ED

Announcements