cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 - Color Issues

faile486
Contributor

I'm fairly new to color management, but so far, it's been a NIGHTMARE.  I'm hoping I can get some guidance on what to try next 😃

I'm not printing photos, I'm printing digital artwork.  Each piece has a limited color palette, close to 10-15 colors.  I thought that would make it easier, but it doesn't seem like it so far.  I did what I think a lot of new people do - made something in photoshop, printed it out, and despaired at the color discrepancy.  I started researching color management, learned about ICC profiles, but couldn't find any for my printer (an old Brother office printer).  I decided to buy a ColorMunki Photo so I could calibrate my monitor and my printer.  I also purchased some Canon Semi-Gloss 8x10 photo paper, three different types of sticker paper from onlinelabels.com, cause I figured the ColorMunki would solve all my color problems.

I got the ColorMunki, profiled both devices, and did a few test prints.  They weren't any better than the ones without a profile - different, but not really better.  I was getting closer results printing from Chrome without any color management on some pieces!

I posted on Reddit, and the general consensus was my printer just wasn't up to snuff.  I'd been eyeing the Pixma Pro 100 for more than a year, it was on sale, so I bought it.  Profiled it, printed, and the results were again slightly better, but still not good.

I did some more research and came across DisplayCAL, which is a more detailed version of the ColorMunki default software?  Again, I saw a slight improvement.

I'm now looking at getting a new monitor, but this is getting INSANELY expensive, and I'd like to be sure I've exhausted all other options first.  A new monitor is looking like it'll be $400+, and not as large as the one I'm currently using.  I really like my current monitor.  I've got a show in two weeks.  Right now, I'm doing guess and check color correction, just so I have SOMETHING printed to sell.  I've used over half my original pack of 50 paper on this, but at least it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now.

The prints tend to come out much darker and less saturated than they appear on screen.  I was able to get the largest improvement yet by turning my monitor brightness and contrast down very low (it actually makes it difficult for me to use the monitor for anything other than color correcting at these settings), much lower than the PhotoMunki was saying they should be, using either version of the software.

I've profiled both my monitor and my printer dozens of times.  I really have no idea what to try.  Whatever I do, it seems like my monitor is displaying colors that my printer just won't print.

Other info:

• We bought daylight balanced bulbs for my workroom, it can be either SUPER bright, normal indoor lighting, or dark.  Makes little difference.
  • I've tried setting the image mode to both RGB and CMYK and haven't noticed a difference.
  • I've tried using Edit > Convert to Profile - Adobe RGB, sRGB, the printer profile from the ColorMunki, the default Canon 100 profile.
  • Uninstalled f.lux after realizing I forgot to deactivate it during one of the monitor profiling attempts.
39 REPLIES 39

Hi John,

Funny enough, I did print on the wrong side at first, but then corrected.  Unfortunately, the color is still dull.

I also tried to print on just matte photo paper like I did before and the color was dull again.

The new driver seems to to have corrected the the oversaturation on the bright colors - like red, pink, and orange

But has dulled and darkened all the other colors

joyfulsouthern
Apprentice

Hi Everyone! Sorry to grab onto an old discussion but, I am needing help. I have a Canon PRO 100- I use all Canon branded inks. I have long worked out getting the colors to properly print thankfully but, randomly this past week I have begun having an issue with the CYAN tank. It is printing purple in places where it should be a navy/dark blue and it's doing something crazy with greens on SOME things. 

Background: I replaced the Cyan tank on Monday (5 days ago) and this is when it started. Although the printer is showing a FULL tank- if I examine the tank itself it looks almost empty with very little liquid in the bottom but, I guess it's just in the sponge?

I have run the test sheet and the entire block of color for the CYAN tank is empty- no lines nothing at all. I have performed 3 regular cleanings and 1 deep ceaning as I would assume it's clogged and still the test print sheet remains the same. I used a macbook pro to do all the testing and cleaning. 

What am I missing? Sincerely grateful for your help! Jennifer 

@joyfulsouthern wrote:

Hi Everyone! Sorry to grab onto an old discussion but, I am needing help. I have a Canon PRO 100- I use all Canon branded inks. I have long worked out getting the colors to properly print thankfully but, randomly this past week I have begun having an issue with the CYAN tank. It is printing purple in places where it should be a navy/dark blue and it's doing something crazy with greens on SOME things. 

Background: I replaced the Cyan tank on Monday (5 days ago) and this is when it started. Although the printer is showing a FULL tank- if I examine the tank itself it looks almost empty with very little liquid in the bottom but, I guess it's just in the sponge?

I have run the test sheet and the entire block of color for the CYAN tank is empty- no lines nothing at all. I have performed 3 regular cleanings and 1 deep cleaning as I would assume it's clogged and still the test print sheet remains the same. I used a macbook pro to do all the testing and cleaning. 

What am I missing? Sincerely grateful for your help! Jennifer 

Perhaps its a bad cartridge and the printer isn't reading the chip?

Based on your description it sounds like cartridge is now empty. 

If you put in a new cartridge and it still doesn't print a nozzle check correctly the it would imply the head has failed.

That's all I can think of.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Here is hoping! I am anxiously awaiting a delivery from Amazon today so I can test it. I agree that it seems like the cartridge could be the culprit- I am hoping it is since this is the easiest option. If the head is bad... is that repairable?

Replaced the CYAN cartridge and all is good. Yay! Thanks for your help as always.

Smiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Can you post how you are setting up your print settings in the print dialogue window?

You could download the Canon Print Studio Pro app which will work through Photoshop Elements.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Printer Settings.pngPrinter Settings2.png

Everything looks right to me. 

You could try this:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

Download the test image from this site. 

Open the image in Elements and print it. Do not make any adjustments to the image regardless of how it looks on your display. 

If the printer is functioning properly you should get a very good image. Let me know how it comes out. 

Do you have any other Canon paper like SemiGloss or Luster that you could try?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John -

Sorry for the slow reply - the day started and I am taking a break from it now.  I will start again fresh tomorrow.  Thank you for your help!

Announcements