cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-10 Squealing / Squeaking noise

chrisreissart
Contributor

Bought my Pixma-Pro 10 in July 2020

In July 2021 (Just past warranty) during a print job of 250 prints, started making a squeaking / squealing noise while in operation.  It sounds like something needs lubrication.

There is no decrease in the quality of the prints.

The noise itself doesn't bother me but I am worried it is an indication of something that needs maintenance and will cause damage if not addressed.  Might be too late (I’ve let it go unaddressed for 3 weeks now).

Update: In August 2021 I got an error message I hadn't seen before.  It said to turn off the printer, check for foreign objects, check the ink cartridges were installed correctly and turn back on.  Printer worked again after restarting, but got the error message again after 1 print.  I suspect the error message and noise are related.  

Canon Customer Service says “I don’t know…  You can buy a new printer…”  Which I don’t find very helpful.

Is there a way I can try to fix this myself?  Can anyone tell me the proper way to lubricate a Pixma Pro-10?  Do I seriously just need to "buy a new printer" every14 months?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Call and ask to speak with a supervisor. They may be able to work something out. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Call and ask to speak with a supervisor. They may be able to work something out. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Xandreams
Apprentice

Hi, I was wondering if you were able to solve your problem by contacting the supervisor or something else.

I got thru to a more helpful customer service rep who submitted a request to honor the warrenty even tho it was expired (they said they do agree to this sometimes) but the request was denied.  

I continued to use the printer until one day it suddenly freaked out on me.  The printhead shot back and forth several times and slammed itself loudly against one end.  It was like it was possessed.

I took the printer to a local printer repair shop.  The guy put me on a waitlist.  A couple of weeks later he was able to fix it in a day for $100.  Apparently there is a belt kept under a lot of tension that had come off it's track.  The way he described how he fixed it - it was definitly something I couldn't have done on my own.  apparently Cannon printers are difficult to work on.

He said the printer didn't look like it needed cleaning or lubrication so I still don't know why it was sqeaking.

I'd needed a printer sooner than it was going to be repaired so I made the decision to upgrade to the pro-1000 (with a 4 year warrenty) and keep the pro-10 as a back-up.  I think Canon gave me a discount for upgrading.  I've been using the pro-1000 for almost a year now.  I've had to use the 10 a couple times when I was out of ink or waiting for a new maintenance cartriage.  The 10 still squeaks but otherwise works fine.

BTW, pretty happy with the 1000 so far.  faster than the 10 and the cost of ink for the 1000 is 1/3 less than the 10 by my calculations.

Announcements