cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-1 paper jam on Ilford 5x7 Gold Monosilk

ciceroym
Apprentice

Hi,

I just bought a pack of 5x7 Ilford Galarie Prestige Gold Monosilk (270gsm & 265micron) and I can't get it to print from the rear tray. Searching the web has shown that the potential reason to this is that there is a limitation to the weight & thickness of the paper that can be printed through the rear tray.

Ilford website provides ICC profile for this paper.  I have tried other papers, such as a local Thai brand inkjet photo papers (4x6, 260gsm) and it prints fine.

Setting the option 'Prevent Paper Abrasion' to ON does not help either.

I am out of ideas. Please help! Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

nocaldred
Apprentice

I am having trouble with the Ilford Gold Monosilk paper also  (8.5 x 11)...it runs 90% great until the end when it clearly loses grip of the paper and the printing slides to the side. ruining the print.   It is 310thickness.. but this size works with other brands of paper.

Hello.  

When printing on this Monosilk media, what media type is being selected in the printer settings?  Also, what paper size is being selected?  Does Ilford provide any specific recommentations for what settings to use with this paper on various printers?

The maximum thickness that is supported by the printer is 23.6mil or 93 lb (350 g/m2).  With this thicker type of paper, try using the manual feed tray to print.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

Canon printers need to be less picky when 3rd party papers are used. A lot of us here uses original inks to maintain print quality and the printer itself after an expensive purchase. Creativity isn't creativity if we are limited in printing media from one brand. I hope this gets Canon's attention and fixes this with a future firmware/software update.

I managed to get it fixed after got a partial solution from Ilford support & distributor in Thailand. Basically you need 2 things:

1) The paper (5x7) in the rear tray needs to be stacked (at least 10-15 sheet). Putting a single piece will not work. You need to try this a few times to make it work.

2) Printing with bordered option on 5x7 is a must. Borderless printing seems to be limited up to 4x6 with paper around this sizes.

Ilford says that i need to change the icc color/media type to Canon's standard Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, but I managed to use the icc profile from Ilford without a problem.

After that, the printer prints beautifully, even with just standard settings.

Hi.

1. I have printed single sheet 5x7 from Rear Tray without a problem, so it may be a function of the paper you are using.

2. There is a paper type limitation for borderless printing:

Capture.JPG

I am not sure there is a size limit.

3. I think you are confusing Media Type with ICC Profile. The media type selection controls how much ink is laid down. The ICC profile controls color.

Third-party paper vendors provide a recommended media type in terms of Canon papers since that is all the printer knows. They also provide their own custom ICC profiles. Some vendors actually recomend using Canon paper ICC profiles; sometimes if a paper is very close to the comparable Canon media type there is hardly any difference between the custom and the Canon profile.

I use Canon, Canson, Red River, Ilford and Hahnemuehle papers without any problems and get excellent results (I am using a PRO-100), so I can't agree that can't is being picky when third party papers are being used. They even provide the information:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/3rd_party_papers

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

I've checked the settings again, and you are correct. sorry for the confusion. English isn't exactly my native language. I am thinking ahead of myself. Let me rephrase my statement. I was not able to print using the Ilford ICC pfofile if i were to choose the Other Glossy Paper as the media type. Only the Photo Paper Plus Glossy II is accepted along the Ilford supplied ICC profile for their Monosilk papers.

I've not try that many paper type yet, but I did tried the Canson papers for artistic pencil sketch once, and it worked! Now when the Ilford people tried to help me in finding the best settings to work with their Monosilk paper, they did acknowledge that Canon does implement quite a strict policy on the paper types that can be printed on their printers. I found that to be quite strange since that Ilford did offer Monosilk ICC profile for Pixma Pro series. These inconsistencies is driving me crazy.

It seems that Canon printers does not readily accept Ilford paper. I saw a couple of thread mentioning the same thing in this forum.

To my best knowledge, Pixma Pro-1 cannot print borderless on Ilford 5x7 Monosilk papers. If you can find the setting that can say otherwise, I'll be very happy to learn it from you.

Regards,

Cicero

Hi Cicero.

I am working on a PRO-100, so that might make a differecne, but:

1. I took a piece of Gold Mono Silk I had lying around and cut out a 5x7 piece.

2. Using Lightroom and Canon Print Studio Pro I selected as shown:

Capture.JPG

Under Layout select Borderless and it printed Borderless from Rear Tray.

What software are you using to print?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have tested about 8 sheets  310 or higher.   The only one that does NOT print is Gold Monosilk... every other type of paper from all brands (even 325) prints perfectly except that paper!  The PIXMA Pro 100 simply hates that paper! (I am printing 8.5x11)

Does it work OK with a single sheet?

The Rear Tray can be very finicky about sensing paper. Maybe the Mono Silk in multiple sheets sticks together and doesn't feed one at a time.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements