cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-1000 Single band on end of dark prints using Juniper Baryta Rag 305

shoeblade
Apprentice
Hello

I am getting a single light band on dark images on my PRO-1000 at the end of the paper for dark images (the last part to come out of the printer)
It occurs in both the rear and manual tray.
It appears at the same locatation on seperate prints.
No other defects in the image noticeable up to that point.
Using Juniper Baryta Rag 305 paper with their settings (pro platimum as paper type and their ICC profile)
Paper is 0.4mm thick.
Printing from photoshop on windows using the Canon print studio
Tried the "heavyweight photo paper" setting which lessens the effect but makes the print blurry (not acceptable).
Paper is not bent or curled, and tried samples from two different batches of paper.
I don't see the effect on Canon semi-gloss plus paper (as far as my eyes can tell)

20180705_230052.jpg20180705_230105.jpg20180705_230016.jpg20180705_230024.jpg
8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You might want to contact Moab. Platinum seems like a strange recommendation for a media type with texture. For the Pro-100 they recommend "Other Glossy Paper"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sent an e-mail to them a few days ago.

It's odd that it is always in the same spot, it is almost like a paper handling problem when it gets to the trailing edge.

The rest of the print (and other prints without a back background) are flawless.

Any head height besides low reduces the resolution of the print too much for my purposes (high resolution digialt artwork).

Still no solution found which does not also reduce overall print quality.

See the February 27, 2017 post about Juniper paper on the Moab support forum. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

According to jtoolman post in your DPReview thread its related to the fact that you are borderless printing. Apparently a warning pops up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No warning popped up in the print studio pro plugin that I was aware of, is this warning documented somewhere?... made many borderless prints at this size, just the dark ones with problems.

An interesting development.

Moab got the same band when they tried my PNG file on their printer, but when they used a smaller sheet of paper, the band did not appear to scale. Which means while it appears a particular type of image is causing it, it is not an artifact in that image (or it would have gotten smaller with the smaller paper).

They did not get the band with their other test files...

So, only possibilities left are some sort of hardware issue on multiple printers, or something in software is doing it.

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? The images you posted show exactly the problem I am having, although I am not printing borderless. The band always appears just about an inch from the end of the paper. At present I am only doing test prints, and using only letter size paper.

Based on some vague wording in the manual, I believe this is a limitation of the printer hardware. The manual indicates that printing within 25mm of the end of the paper "can affect the print quality or the paper feed precision". I think the margin here is actually more like 30mm, but whatever.

I was attempting to find out from Canon tech support exactly what kind of degradation of the print quality we might expect, but I got nothing from them so far.

I do not believe this has anything to do with print head clogging since if it did, there would be problems all over the page, not just in one band near the edge.

So, can anyone confirm my hypothesis that this is a limitation of the printer?  (one that they don't really want to talk about)

ggruber
Apprentice

Clean your print head's cyan port. Happens to me every once and a while. Cyan and/or blue seem to clog more frequently than any other tanks.

I've made over 1400 prints with my Pro 1000, seen it half a dozen times.

Announcements