cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon PIXMA PRO-100 will not load paper

Gridiron1952
Apprentice

I need help.  My Pixma pro 100 will not load any paper.  I her the wheels turning but no feed.  This printer had never been used.  

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome.

First, make sure all the tape materials have been removed. Verify that the head and cartridges have been properly installed. The paper feed on the top of the printer (called the Rear Feed) can be fussy. Insert a single sheet of paper and be sure it is fully seated.

The Manual Feed (at the very rear of the printer) is less fussy. It's called Manual Feed because you should be feeding one sheet at a time.

It also works better when loading photo paper rather than general printer/copier paper.

Try that and report back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Gridiron1952
Apprentice

I got it to work most of the time.  I put a thick piece of cardboard in the paper feed and it grabbed it and ran it through.  It now grabs the paper and seems to work.  I sometimes have to kind of push the paper down to get it to grab and it works.  It prints fantastic quality pictures, so I want to keep it.  It is 10 years old but was never used.  I was given this printer.  Will my ink cartridges from my old canon 9000 work with this Pixma pro 100?

Could be that the rollers are dried out or developed a film with 10 years of sitting idle.  Sounds like you have the fix. 

Only CLI-42 cartridges will work. They are Pro-100 specific.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Could be that the rollers are dried out or developed a film with 10 years of sitting idle."

You can try a qtip with some denatured alcohol to clean the rollers. If you are using the "rear feed" make sure both paper supports are extended and the paper guides are firmly against to paper. Very light bond paper may never feed reliably if that is what you are using. Canon brand paper is best but paper from Red River is also very good. Call them they will assist you on which papers are best for the Pro-100

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I had a Pro-9000 and I have a Pro-100 but I don't remember what cartridges the 9000 used. I would guess they are not the same. Printer manufactures can't seem to ever use the same cartridge in a similar but newer model printer.

The 9000 might have used the 8 cartridge (?) but the Pro-100 uses the 42 cartridge.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I had a Pro-9000 and I have a Pro-100 but I don't remember what cartridges the 9000 used. I would guess they are not the same. Printer manufactures can't seem to ever use the same cartridge in a similar but newer model printer.

The 9000 might have used the 8 cartridge (?) but the Pro-100 uses the 42 cartridge.

CLI-42 cartridges have a different color mix - gray and light gray replace the red and green. Also a newer ink formulation; much better longevity.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ah, OK.  😊

"Also a newer ink formulation; much better longevity."

Yes that is a fact on the longevity. I don't print very often now that I am retired but the Pro-100 always seems ready to go even though it might have been a month since last useage. I just did a somewhat rare for me anymore wedding photo print sessions. They look beautiful on Canon Pro Platinum paper.

Weddings have sure changed. In the beginning I did full wedding albums from the film to the darkroom to the album. Beautiful prints. Then digital.  Everybody still wanted prints but from a printer not a darkroom.  Done either by me or a pro print shop. That moved to a CD or a DVD with the images on them. Now all they want is a thumb stick.

This latest bride asks for six prints which is par for the course now.

EB

jfumberg
Apprentice

I am having the same issue, with no luck. How can access the rollers to clean them? 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In the printer driver:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 151731.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements