cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infuriating Setup Instructions: imagePROGRAF Pro-1000

AaronD
Enthusiast

I have never seen worse, more obtuse and impenatrable instructions.  Ever.   I can't believe I'm the only one.

I was going to spell out my struggles but I don't know where to begin.

I write this in hopes Canon will hear.  

Apologies for the interruption.  I just don't know what to do.

Just because I don't pose with a camera to my eye doesn't mean I'm not a dork.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is the Apple AirPrint driver, not the Canon IJ Series driver.

Go back to the beginning and select Printers & Scanners and then Add Printer, Scanner or Fax.

Select that and then wait till you see Canon IJ Printer Network or USB, depending on how your printer is connected.

This is a common problem because the Apple driver almost always appears first and folks select that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SamanthaW

Hi Aaron,

If able, please let the Community know what you're struggling with so they can offer suggestions.

Your other option, would be to reach out to our support team for troubleshooting and step by step guidance. They can be reached at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday to Friday, excluding holidays! Please be sure to say the full model number when calling "imagePROGRAF PRO-1000" to be sure you get to the right group.

Hope this helps!

AaronD
Enthusiast

I'm figuring it out.  I found this page on-line:  https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-1000%20series/EN/CNT/Top.htm

I had been looking at some PDF from I don't even know where.

AaronD
Enthusiast

OK I am trying to find the printer driver and I can't.  I'm trying to disable the 'auto power off' function and have read somewhere that I need to go to the printer driver to do so

I can't find the printer driver.  'Install' doesn't say what the file is named or where it's putting it.  Canon's download page doesn't tell me the name of the file, only the .dmg filename.  Only clue as to location is 'install for all users'.

I see 'Extended Survey...' Pro Print and Layout, Quick Utility Toolbox' and a bunch of other stuff in multiple locations but no Printer Driver.

I'm back to 'infuriated'.  This is NOT intuitive.  

Printer driver is here:

Canon Support for imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 114815.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1. Go to System Settings on the Mac.

2. Select Printers and Scanners

3. Select the right arrow on the line with your printer

4. Select Options & Supplies

5. Select Utility->Open Printer Utility.

6. Select Power Settings in the dropdown menu.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I should have thought to look there — thank you!

BUT, I click as you say and I'm taken to a web-page where I'm asked for a password.  I enter the printer's serial number and see the dots - but I get no response.  I also tried 'Canon' as for other printer models.  I hit 'enter' , 'refresh' — nothing.  I know I'm dragging you into the weeds...

When you click on the printer a window should open. At the bottom of the window what driver version is listed?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Version 3.0.

That is the Apple AirPrint driver, not the Canon IJ Series driver.

Go back to the beginning and select Printers & Scanners and then Add Printer, Scanner or Fax.

Select that and then wait till you see Canon IJ Printer Network or USB, depending on how your printer is connected.

This is a common problem because the Apple driver almost always appears first and folks select that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

click here to view the gallery
Announcements