cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set Avoid Paper Abrasion when using Professional Print and Layout software

amv8
Contributor

Hello:

I'm using the Pro-1000 printer and usually print through the Professional Print and Layout (PP&L) software on MacOS either as a plug-in to PS or as a standalone application.  There are a number of printer settings that can't be controlled through Professional Print and Layout, but can from the standard print driver, for example, "Avoid Paper Abrasion."  How can I set Avoid Paper Abrasion when using the PP&L application?  Can I set it using the menu on the printer and the printer will just retain it unless it is changed again on the printer or changed via the print driver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I called Canon Support.  They said that my initial hunch was correct.  If you set Avoid Paper Abrasion on the printer's operational panel, that setting will be retained and used by Professional Print & Layout.  Of course, you need to remember to turn the setting off on the panel when you don't want to be using it.

Since I had the gentleman on the phone, I also confirmed that there is no way to delete a stored setting with Professional Print & Layout.  You would have to reinstall the application.  I would consider that a bug.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you enable it in the print drover and test. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, but how do you set it in the print driver when the Professional Print & Layout app doesn't use the standard print driver user interface?

In System Preferences->Printers & Scanners select the printer  utility. That is how it works with PSP and the Pro-100

Canon PRO-100 2021-09-01 07-50-25.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John, well that was a good idea.  Unfortunately, it looks like for Pro-1000 printer, that option isn't available through the Utility.  Any other ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 8.58.26 AM.png.

I don't know if this will help:

Canon : imagePROGRAF Manuals : PRO-1000 series : Changing Settings from Operation Panel

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John, per my original post I was wondering if that would work.  That is, set it on the printer operation panel and hope that the PP&L app would not override the setting back to the default.  I'll experiment a bit.  On some papers, I get intermittent head strikes with larger sheets so it might be a bit difficult to ascertain whether setting Avoid Paper Abrasion on the operation panel is working with using PP&L.  Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

Perhaps give canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I called Canon Support.  They said that my initial hunch was correct.  If you set Avoid Paper Abrasion on the printer's operational panel, that setting will be retained and used by Professional Print & Layout.  Of course, you need to remember to turn the setting off on the panel when you don't want to be using it.

Since I had the gentleman on the phone, I also confirmed that there is no way to delete a stored setting with Professional Print & Layout.  You would have to reinstall the application.  I would consider that a bug.

That is strange for PP&L, since it is possible in PSP. But it is a convoluted process.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 193813.jpg

First, even though the custom settings are showing you need to select "Add from Print History"

When that window opens you can select and delete the settings.

Then select "OK"

Takes a few seconds but the item is deleted.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 194514.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements