cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print using LR and PS for Pixma Pro-100

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

I am using Canon Pixma Pro-100 with two types of papers: Photo paper Pro Luster and  Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss. Also, I am using Lightroom CC 2015.

When printing using the Print module in LR, I don't any option to select the type of papers. The same when I clicked on the Page Setup and Print Settings buttons in LR. I am curious what I am doing wrong?

I have installed the latest printer driver from Canon mpsp-mac-2_2_3-ea10_3.dmg. I was told to use the Print Studio Pro version 2.2.3 for Mac. However, when open/extract that package, there is nothing but an RTF file.

Lastly, I was told I need to download something called ICC profile for the individual paper type. I have been looking everywhere and still not able to locate the correct ICC profile for the two paper types mentioned above.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

LV

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi LV.

"Canon mpsp-mac-2_2_3-ea10_3.dmg." is the download program file for Print Studi Pro. It is not the printer driver.

You need to System Properties->Printers & Scanners and be sure you have the Canon IJ Series driver for the Pro-100, not the AirPrint driver.

The Canon driver automatically installs ICC profiles for the Canon papers; no need to download anything special.

Since you have LRCC 2015 it must mean you have the subscription?  If so, update to the current version.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

This is what I have downloaded and installed on my Mac

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 5.17.54 PM.png

The software I got from canon's website is called mcpd-mac-pro_100-16_20_0_0-ea21_3.dmg.

I was under the impression when in LC Print Module, I would be able to select the media type to print to. I dont see that option anywhere. Are you saying I have to upgrade to the latest release of LR?

Thanks,

Lim

This is what I see in LC under Page Setup

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 5.20.41 PM.png

And Print Settings

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 5.21.41 PM.png

And in Print module

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 5.22.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-01 at 5.23.05 PM.png

You have the AirPrint driver installed, which is an Apple driver with limited capability.

Go to the Canon support site and download the IJ Series driver. It should be a bunch of numbers 16.20 in it.

Install that driver into the computer. Then go to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners. Click the + icon and wait for the computer to find the Canon IJ Series driver; it could take a few minutes.

Once that is installed select the AirPrint driver and click the - icon to remove it.

Then you should see the following:

Printers & Scanners 2019-09-01 20-52-58.jpg

And in LR:

Monosnap 2019-09-01 20-56-31.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Thank you for your help on this.

I think the issue here is that the driver version from Canon website is not fully compatible with the Mac OS. This is the copy I've downloaded

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 8.36.32 AM.png

However, during the installation I would get this message

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 8.35.16 AM.png

This tells me that the driver downloaded from Canon is not compatible. Unfortunately, there is'nt any other version or copy I could download from. Curious what version of Mac OS you are using? I am using the latest Mojave. I don't believe it is possible to down grade Mac OS, not that I really want to cause this could cause other issues.

Thanks,

LV

Hi LV.

That's an error message involving 64-bit and 32-bit software. I believe starting with Catalina 32-bit software won't be supported. If you double click the open box icon and just wait (could be several minutes) the driver installation will complete sucessfully. I am using Mojave with the very latest update. I just re-downloaded the driver and reinstalled it just to be sure it works. Installed OK. I got a different message about something called "CompareVersions" or something like that.

I just printed a test image at it came out fine.

What do you see under Printers & Scanners?

I will post next the settings you need in Print Settings.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi LV.

Here is what I do.

1. create a User Template in LR

Create Template.jpg

Go to Print Settings and choose your parameters:

Quality & Media.jpg

Go to the Template you created. Right click and select "Update with Current Settings"

Screenshot 2019-09-02 12.32.51.png

Then, when you want to print just select that template

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Once again much appreciated your patience and help on this.

I think I've figured out what I've done wrong. During the installation of the driver, the system would default to the Airprint as supposed to manually selecting the IJ one. After I've deleted the Airprint and manually selecting IJ option, I was able to manually configure the printer and successfully test printed a couple of photos.

The photos came out a touch darker than what is showing on the screen, but that's mostly because I never bothered with calibrating it. Speaking of printing, I discovered that, I used all default settings with the exception of changing the print resolution to 300, and the prints came out amazingly sharp, considering the photos was taken with my iPhone XR. I am anxious to find out what the printer can do with photos from the Canon 5Ds.

Many thanks for your continuing support and help,

LV

Sounds great.

Yes, the general complaint of my prints are too dark  usually means the monitor is too bright.

That is the advantage of the outback photo test image. It is a known correct image that will print correctly. If its darker than the monitor reduce monitor brightness (recognizing that there will never be exact match because monitor is transmited light while print is reflected light.)

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements