cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot folder printing

Rwingjr
Contributor

Some years ago I used to have software that creatd hot folders. I'd drop an image into a hot folder and it would automatically send the photos to my printer and print to the proper size with the proper settings. It worked great. Unfortunately, that isn't available anymore for Windows 10. Does anyone know of software that will work, or how I may set up hot folders? I have a couple Pixma Pro 9000 printers. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have heard of something like that in past.  It seemed like I was running Windows 95 at the time.  I am not aware of any current application that allows you to do that.  I don't see how printing photos like that is in any way desireable.  There are too many variables when it comes to photo printing. 

It could work with text, just send it out to letter size paper.  Photos?  How would the hot folder decide what size paper you want to use?  How would it even know if you are printing one image to fill the sheet, or multiple copies on the same sheet? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used to print at events on a small basis. I had different printers, set up to print different size prints. When I got an order, I'd drag the photo to the appropriate hot folder, and it did the printing automatically, without me having to change printer settings, paper, etc. It made it easy for part time employees to operate. I had to set up different hot folders, but once it was done, it certainly made things much easier and faster. 

You might check and see if their is some kiosk software package that can print like that, or either use some other mechanism to get the same result.

I have but they can be expensive. Other printer manufactuers offer them in software for their printers. I was just wondering if anyone had done the same with Canon. I bought software some years ago from an Australian firm who provided event photography software for places like Disneyworld, etc. It worked good for me, but they went in a different direction and stopped producing that particular software and started catering to the larger corporate companies. I've looked at other event photo stuff also, but I don't want their complete product. I'm simply looking for a way to set up hot folders. It really shouldn't be that difficult, but I'm not a software developer. Please, don't keep telling me that you don't see a use for it, or I should check kiosk software. If you have done it or know where I can absolutely get something like this that is simply hot folder software for printing, let me know. Otherwise, you're wasting my time. 

Forum rules prohibit me from posting such a link, or any link to an application, except for Canon's applications.

A simple web search for "hot folder printer" immediately turned up a few potential hits.  I cannot offer any recommendation, or opinion, about any of the applications that my search on Bing turned up.  If I were to try any of them, I would be inclined to try the one at CNET.

I did an internet search before posting here. If I recall correctly, the Cnet wasn't what I was looking for. I believe it deleted photos after being placed there, which would seem like such a bad deal, but but sometimes things happen and you need to reprint a photo, and it's easy to grab from the copied folder. Also, I'd keep the original and maybe put some graphics on the photos and send them directly to the hot folder, where it would print out and then save the file for me. I may end up going with that one, if I don't find something similar to what I had. I could work around it, but when you hire cheap help, crap happens. 

Teach your people to drag and drop files using the right mouse button, instead of the left mouse button.

Just forget I ever asked the question. My God man, I've run businesses for over 40 years. I can teach, lecture, give demonstrations, write instructions down on paper with diagrams, and they will still not get it. And I can tell you it's 10 times worse now than it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago I could hire people who could do the work. 30 years ago, I could hire people who could do the work and actually cared about doing a good job. I find it very hard to find anyone who will do that now. I've worked with many different people, raised several children and foster children. coached high school sports, worked in emergency medicine for over 25 years, was on a school board for many years, and also managed a very large estate for nearly 25 years. I have hired all sorts of help, and trained all sorts of people from all walks of life. Society is different now than it used to be and very few young people actually have a work ethic.  Right now I do this as a part time business/hobby and I hire part time help. It's not like I'm a huge corporation that can spend 10 thousand dollars to train somene then have them go somewhere else. I have to make things as simple and fail safe as possible. Just forget I asked the question. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements