cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon printer vs Epson paper .... agh ....!

raphaelshammaa
Contributor
Hi guys,
I used an Epson 3880 for years until it ceased functioning and I made the switch to the Canon Pro-1000. 
How do I use the Epson Hot (and Cold) Press paper (it would be expensive to throw away), and Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte leftovers? Is there a profile somewhere that connects the Canon Pro-1000 to Epson papers?

If not, would it be tricky and/or expensive to have a profile made for that?

Seeing clearly through this would be very helpful.

Also, which approximates, in your view, Epson's "Ultra Premium Presentation Matte" paper and "Hot Press Natural" or "Hot Press Bright", if any by other manufacturers?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@raphaelshammaa wrote:
Hi guys,
I used an Epson 3880 for years until it ceased functioning and I made the switch to the Canon Pro-1000. 
How do I use the Epson Hot (and Cold) Press paper (it would be expensive to throw away), and Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte leftovers? Is there a profile somewhere that connects the Canon Pro-1000 to Epson papers?

If not, would it be tricky and/or expensive to have a profile made for that?

Seeing clearly through this would be very helpful.

Also, which approximates, in your view, Epson's "Ultra Premium Presentation Matte" paper and "Hot Press Natural" or "Hot Press Bright", if any by other manufacturers?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

Welcome to the forum. 

It is possible to have custom paper profiles made. Just Google custom printer paper profile suppliers. You can decide the cost-benefits. 

Frequently printer vendor profiles work very well with third party papers when the media surface-"color" and finish are similar. 

Another possibility is to see if third party suppliers, like Red River, Carson, etc. list a match for your Eason papers. Then see if those vendors list a match for that paper for Canon papers. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you John. Thoughtful response.

I have about $400 worth of Epson paper, so I have to find a way to use it. I can use existing Canon profiles or try the Canson Rag Photographique or other profiles and zero in on the best one and then make adjustments, just for this one print that I need to send out shortly.

I can also have profiles created for the 2 Epson papers I have here which will save me $400 (minus the cost of profiles), and will also save me a lot of time looking for replacements for the Epson papers. Anyway, all that is very subjective as I'm sure you agree 🙂

Incidentally, I couldn't find a "New Message" button to submit a new question about why when I change from Pro Platinum to Matte on the printer itself, the Register button does not activate my choice - meaning I am stuck with Pro Platinum.

a) No "New Message button" and b) "Register" does not operate. Any ideas?

Maybe when I post this answer a "New Message" button will appear as if by magic (?!). Doubt it.  Hmmm ...

Take care.

I don't have the same printer as you, but I will offer a solution that has worked with my series printer. 

If you are on a Mac computer verify that you are not using the AirPrint version of the printer driver. You want to see the IJ Series version of the driver. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John.

Yeah, I was made very aware of that. Apparently it is a reduced version of the app.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Yes. It is actually an Apple product and not a Canon product. It allows the printer to work and doesn’t require any user action.

Based on your comment I asstyou know how to load the IJ Series driver.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements