Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon Pro100S ink sponge full - leaving ink marks on prints

Hi,

I have a Canon Pro100s which is just over a year old and has just started leaving ink stains/streaks at the top centre of the page whenever I print a borderless print.. I've tried everything from deep clean, base plate cleaning (numerous times), roller head cleaning, and also manually cleaning the base plate protusions using a cotton swab - and it's still got the issue. When I complete a base plate cleaning I get ink streaks over the fold, and if I look inside the printer, I can see that the ink sponge between the base plates is completely saturated with ink..

Is this normal for a printer only a year old? And how do I go about resolving this? I've tried carefully dabbing the sponge with a piece of lint-free cloth, but other than covering myself in black ink, it doesn't seem to be resolving it - and I've now wasted two full black ink cartridges, plus two other colours trying to resolve this as I'm getting a bit short on time with customer orders to print and ship.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks.

DSC_0001_BURST20200113122852764.JPG

DSC_1236.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon Pro100S ink sponge full - leaving ink marks on prints

Greetings,

If you have ink "pooling" or over saturating the sponge or pads, you have to get it out.  Latex gloves will solve the problem of keeping your hands clean.  Cotton balls, sterile pads or new sponges are a good way to get ink out of the printer.

Some resort to removing the pads for cleaning, but some are buried and hard to remove.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Honored Contributor

Borderless printing oversprays the paper to ensure full coverage. The sponges in the printer catch the ink. Rick's advice is right on.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Frequent Contributor

In my experience it's not just borderless printing. My sponges are soaked as if I'm doing borderless, but I've never used borderless ever. 

Occasional Contributor

How do you remove the pads to clean? What do I clean them with and can I reuse them?