cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to print CMYK files from Professional Print & Layout

phy9pas
Contributor

I'm trying to use the Canon Professional Print & Layout software to print from my Mac.

It seems like I'm unable to load CMYK files in to the application to print. When I select the file, nothing happens and the file is ignored.

I've tried this with both TIFFs and JPGs - they load up alright when in RGB colourspace but fail if they are CMYK.

I don't want to have to transform all the files to RGB first as this may affect the colours from the original artwork.

Does anybody know if this is a bug or expected behaviour - I can't see this restriction listed anywhere in the documentation. Is there any workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

phy9pas
Contributor

I've just had a response from Canon support confirming that this is the expected behaviour for this software - you cannot print CMYK files to your CMYK Canon printer using Canon software. Mindblowing.

"In response to your enquiry regarding the Professional Print & Layout, I am attaching below the link with of the software's manual with the general notes.

Professional Print & Layout Guide
General Notes (Professional Print & Layout) << Click the link

When starting from supported application

• One color (8 bits or 16 bits) per pixel RGB data formats supported by the application

Therefore, as you correctly mentioned, this software does not support CMYK files and unfortunately I could not find a workaround.

Lastly, I am attaching below the link of an article with information regarding the RGB and CMYK colour systems.

RGB, CMYK and photo printing << Click the link
'Learn about RGB and CMYK colour systems. Find out how Canon inks and paper are designed to work in harmony with printers, providing colour accuracy.' "

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Stephen

Hello!
So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information:
• What is the exact model printer you're using (it's usually on the top or front of the unit)?
• Do you see any error messages?
• Which version of Windows or macOS are you using?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks, and have a great day!

phy9pas
Contributor

I'm printing to my PRO-1000 and PRO-200 models.

There are no error messages displayed.

My MacOS is Ventura 13.6.3.

I'm using the latest version of Professional Print & Layout studio.

Your printers use expanded CMYK inks, therefore the conversion from RGB is made by the printer driver.  You should always load RGB images to the plug-in!

I understand that the printers use expanded CMYK - that is why designers create the files from scratch in CMYK. There should be no need to convert from RGB to CMYK since the files are in CMYK from the outset.

To be clear - I'm not converting the files to CMYK before loading them in to the plugin - they only exist in CMYK. It seems bizarre if I need to convert them to RGB just so that the printer can convert them back to CMYK.

Also - I'd like to understand if this is something that isn't supported by the application then why isn't it mentioned in the documentation or it should give me an error message when trying to load in a CMYK file rather than silently ignoring it.

Print Studio PRO can print from CMYK. Give it a try!

My understanding is that Print Studio Pro only works as a plugin for Photoshop (and other Adobe products). 

I can already print from Photoshop as it handles CMYK files - my goal was to use Professional Print & Layout as an alternative to printing from Photoshop to avoid having to buy an Adobe license for each machine I want to print from.

@phy9pas wrote:

My understanding is that Print Studio Pro only works as a plugin for Photoshop (and other Adobe products). 

I can already print from Photoshop as it handles CMYK files - my goal was to use Professional Print & Layout as an alternative to printing from Photoshop to avoid having to buy an Adobe license for each machine I want to print from.

PP&L can be used as a stand-alone product as well as a plugin to LrC and Ps.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, but the whole thread of this problem is that PP&L can't handle CMYK files.

Somebody suggested PSP as an alternative, but this doesn't solve the problem either since it requires Photoshop.

beeb
Apprentice

I have exactly the same problem. I was trying to print a TIFF that was encoded using CMYK and the application refused to load it. Converting the file to RGB in another application and trying again fixed the problem.

Seems like a bug to me - if the application doesn't support CMYK files it should really give an error when loading it instead of just pretending like nothing happened.

Maybe when this is fixed we can also have PNG support? That would be nice.    

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements