cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting PIXMA TS9521C to computer over wi-fi because of network incompatibility

Rirakku
Apprentice

Hello,

I'm hoping that I can get a solution to this problem once and for all. I have a Pixma TS9521C, and I've always connected it to my laptop over wi-fi (I have T-mobile as an internet provider). Because the printer needs to connect to a 2.4G WPA/WPA2 network, and my computer and phone function better on a 5G WPA2/WPA3 network, I created a separate network in my wi-fi for my printer to connect to.  It was a royal pain in the a$$, but somehow I got my printer and laptop to communicate just fine with my old T-mobile Wi-fi modem, despite their being on different networks.

I recently had to upgrade my modem, and again--somehow--I managed to get the laptop to communicate with my printer. However, the connection would get lost at times, and I'd have to 'add' the printer back to my devices, or re-establish the connection in the computer settings. Today, once again, I couldn't print, but was also unable to re-establish the connection, so I downloaded a new driver for my printer to see if that would help. I can't get them to connect at all--the computer can't find the printer. How do I get them to communicate when they have to be on separate networks? Somehow it worked in the past, but it's not working now.

I appreciate any help you can give. 

Thank you,

Tracey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Tracey,

You are correct about the printer's requirements. It requires a 2.4 GHz broadcast that supports WPA/WPA2 encryption.

Using a dual or tri-band router would allow you to create at least one 2.4 GHz network which could be used by the printer.  

Unless specifically told to do otherwise, your router will allow all connected devices to communicate with one another regardless of the connection or interface type.  This means a device connected to the wired ethernet port can connect / communicate with wireless devices on either band 2.4 or 5G.  The same is true for wireless devices on either band they too can communicate regardless of the wireless band or interface, the other device is using.  

Besides managing your internet connection and communication between your network devices, your router is also responsible for managing the IP addresses for all devices on the network.  Some devices come and go like a friend's phone when they visit your house.  Other devices like a printer are persistent.  It's often helpful to assign or reserve these devices with a static IP address.  This tells your router to always give that device the same IP "destination".  It only needs to be configured once.  This way the router never assigns that IP to another Device or system on your network.  This is true even if the device goes to sleep is turned off or is not used for an extended period of time.  

The setting is made on your router. The name of it varies by manufacturer.  Address reservation. Static IP reserved. IP, etc.  

Once the printer has this assignment, remove the device from your computer and re-add it using its IP address as the destination.  This will ensure a consistent and reliable connection to the device.  

If you have questions just let us know. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Tracey,

You are correct about the printer's requirements. It requires a 2.4 GHz broadcast that supports WPA/WPA2 encryption.

Using a dual or tri-band router would allow you to create at least one 2.4 GHz network which could be used by the printer.  

Unless specifically told to do otherwise, your router will allow all connected devices to communicate with one another regardless of the connection or interface type.  This means a device connected to the wired ethernet port can connect / communicate with wireless devices on either band 2.4 or 5G.  The same is true for wireless devices on either band they too can communicate regardless of the wireless band or interface, the other device is using.  

Besides managing your internet connection and communication between your network devices, your router is also responsible for managing the IP addresses for all devices on the network.  Some devices come and go like a friend's phone when they visit your house.  Other devices like a printer are persistent.  It's often helpful to assign or reserve these devices with a static IP address.  This tells your router to always give that device the same IP "destination".  It only needs to be configured once.  This way the router never assigns that IP to another Device or system on your network.  This is true even if the device goes to sleep is turned off or is not used for an extended period of time.  

The setting is made on your router. The name of it varies by manufacturer.  Address reservation. Static IP reserved. IP, etc.  

Once the printer has this assignment, remove the device from your computer and re-add it using its IP address as the destination.  This will ensure a consistent and reliable connection to the device.  

If you have questions just let us know. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Tracey,

In addition to providing solutions, providing knowledge is often helpful when solving problems.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements